ling chorizo

Fish, Chorizo and Black Pudding

We just came back from Scotland yesterday morning.  I’m suddenly trying to return to grips with an azerty keyboard after 10 days of qwerty!  What a wonderful time, full of precious moments catching up with family around the table.   I also ended up being pretty emotional during a visit to my school, George Watson’s College, after 25 years (gosh, that hurts!) It was wonderful to catch up with old friends and to connect again.  I’m hoping that the budding cooks in Home Economics will now be inspired to make a special burgundy “Ex Corde Caritas” (love from the heart) macaron to match their school uniforms and motto.  I think teaching macarons in schools should be compulsory, don’t you? 🙂

We just made it back in time for Antoine’s birthday.  Poor thing has been living on dinners-for-one from our freezer store, Picard, while we were away.  So with a suitcase stocked with one of his favourite’s, Stornoway Black Pudding (Boudin Noir or Blood Pudding) and having stumbled across this wee street recently, I knew this was “a sign” and so decided to work around this pudding for a quick and easy birthday dinner.

Passage Boudin Paris

My family adore black pudding (Stornoway is the best from Scotland, bien sûr) served traditionally as part of a HUGE Scottish breakfast along with potato scones, bacon and eggs.  The fully monty.  In France, however, we just don’t do that for breakfast.  Instead, we sip from large bowls of coffee or hot chocolate along with croissants or homemade brioche and jam.  If we want to be totally French about serving black pudding, serve it as part of a main dish.

Following a quick jaunt to the market and taking our pick from the seasonal produce on display, it didn’t take long to come up with the menu.  My children and I discovered a new breed of aubergine, lighter and rounder from Italy, the Violette de Florence.

Eggplant Violette de Florence

Aubergine Violette de Florence

Following numerous inspirational blog posts from Chef Dennis, I decided we really need to eat more fish.  It’s amazing how I’ve got out of the habit of eating good old healthy fish.  Can you imagine?  Shame on me, especially since my Grandpa was a fishmonger, too!

One of his favourites was Ling:  it’s meaty with very few bones and not too expensive, either.  The French call it Julienne and at the market it was the first time I’d seen it translated simply as Lingue.

Ling

Lingue or Ling at the market

I already saw the mix of Boudin Noir with Sea Bass in a restaurant last year and so decided to try my hand at making a quick version of this at home. So simple:  I sliced the aubergines, sprinkling them well with salt to get rid of excess water, then rinsed and patted them dry after a few minutes.  A quick flash fry on the griddle pan on each side, then placed them in foil with a clove of garlic and baked them in the oven for 20 minutes while I prepared a Black Pudding Sauce.

To make up the chorizo chips or “scales” of the fish, I simply took extra thin pre-sliced chorizo and dry-fried them in a pan for a few seconds on each side then placed them on kitchen roll to take out the excess fat.  They crisp up once cool:  it’s magic!  Then cooked the fish for a couple of minutes on each side brushed with olive oil in a frying pan.

ling chorizo

So in the space of 30 minutes I had my main prepared:  just needed to place the garlic aubergine on a serving plate, top with the fish then chorizo chips and serve with the black pudding sauce – and extra black pudding since we were feeling greedy!

Antoine found the perfect partner and served it with a bottle of  Savigny-les-Beaune from Burgundy.  He’s good: it needed a light fruity red to cope with the strong flavours.  What nectar!

ling fish fillet with chorizo and black pudding (blood sausage)

And for a quick birthday pudding/dessert? I didn’t have time to make his favourite chocolate fondant birthday cake, so we’ll leave that for this weekend since it needs to mature for at least 24 hours.  Instead, I reached for my macaron bank in the freezer.  This is just so handy to have and for a speedy simple dessert took out some giant macaron shells to serve as a base.

Caramel au beurre salé

I topped it with carmelised apples, homemade caramel ice-cream and dribbled over some warmed salted caramel sauce (again, this was a handy stock in the fridge since had made it a couple of weeks’ ago).  You can find the gluten-free recipe, Giant Macaron Tatin Style, on page 113 of the book.

And needless to say, we enjoyed that with a wee glass of chilled Rivesaltes Ambré by Monsieur Cazes for a glorious sticky finish.  Hm.  Not the easiest of mornings to get up today but I’ll just have to make more caramel desserts this weekend, now that the bottle is opened.  As they say here, Quand le vin est tiré, il faut le boire…

1. Shirley I.
    Shirley I. says:

could you post (or send me) your chesnut cake recipe please? I have some chestnut flour, and would love a good recipe using this. We have tried pancakes, and they are very good.
    Kind regards,
    Shirley I.

Thanks, Shirley. I’ll post the chestnut cake shortly. I’m between 4 recipes and I’m needing to test them again soon since I hate dry cake. I’ll post the fav soon, promise!

2. The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time
    The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time says:

Can I come live with you? I loved the picture of the market and wanted to peek around more at the background (zucchini?). I could imagine you strolling down the sidewalk looking at all the wonderful items for sale. The fish. How gorgeous.

It all came together for a beautiful meal and a stunning dessert. What a glorious birthday.

3. visda
    visda says:

What a birthday meal and what a gorgeous dessert! Those eggplants look amazing. Maybe they inspire you to make eggplant macarons as well.;-)
    I am also totally dying to have a Scottish breakfast after reading you blog. I hope I can find a good place to have it in San Francisco.

4. Michele AKA 5am Foodie
    Michele AKA 5am Foodie says:

One look at the chorizo and I was hooked. I can think of very few dishes that chorizo does not improve. We’re also trying to eat more fish, and I’m going to try out some sort of white fish with chorizo dish on the family. And those aubergines look so gorgeous and just so incredibly fresh. We need more markets with produce like that here in the UK.

5. Choclette
    Choclette says:

Glad you had a good time in Scotland – all very scary how the years slip away. I’m so looking forward to hearing about your chocolate fondant cake!!!! Am with you on teaching macaron baking in schools. I’m still too terrified to give them a go.

Just go for it! What are you waiting for? Macarons are just waiting for Choclette to give them her magic. The fondant? In the end, the family outvoted the fondant for ice-cream. Can you imagine in this cold? I’m not going to protest, though, since now I’ve got more egg whites on the fridge’s waiting list 😉

6. Corina
    Corina says:

This looks like a fantastic meal – fish, black pudding and chorizo. Great combination. I love modern twists with black pudding. I had a black pudding spring roll in Scotland and it was incredibly tasty.

7. Manu
    Manu says:

Ohhh the round purple aubergines!!! How I miss them! I have not been able to find them here… they are sweeter than the regular ones and I love them!!! Very good dishes (both)! 🙂

8. Claudia
    Claudia says:

My husband and son discovered blood pudding in Ireland and loved it (shhh I know that’s not Scotland – wonder at the differences). Love how you built a silky caramel dessert from a macaron! And it’s simply splendid. And yes, Chef Dennis has managed to put more fish on my table also.

9. Spinneys Cauldron
    Spinneys Cauldron says:

Mmmmmmm absolutely stunning, the Ling looks especially delicious. .. actually all of it does!! Hope the year ahead is as awesome as the birthday delights & celebrations.
    I used to love white pudding too, if we used to stay on the West Coast we always used to buy some to bring back South.
    Wishing you many more safe & wondrous journeys .. they sound so refreshing & nourishing. I feel like that when I travel back ‘home’ even though I haven’t lived there for 22 years 🙂

Have a wonderful day

Gosh, I’d love to eat a birthday dinner at your house! Everything looks fabulous…and I’m drooling over that macaron shell with caramelized apples and salted caramel sauce…sounds divine!!!

11. Michelle Elliott
    Michelle Elliott says:

Hi Jill
    I was intrigued to read your blog and looking forward to the PUDDING! When I opened the post I was surprised – we went to the same school! I don’t remember making macaroons in home economics – more scones and rock cakes, but great idea! Haven’t even got to reading further than the first paragraph, but excited to find a fellow Watsonian in the foodbuzz community!

12. Janice
    Janice says:

That sounds fabulous. I love black pudding, but my husband had a traumatic experience involving the killing of a pig and his granny stirring the blood, all of this when he was an impressionable 3 years old. So I rarely get to eat it! Love your Macaron Tatin too, salted caramel is divine.

13. Brandie@thecountrycook
    Brandie@thecountrycook says:

It is settled. I must fly to France the next time you decide to just whip something up as amazing as this. Personally, I’m a fan of the traditional HUGE Scottish breakfast. We stayed at a B & B once near Drumnadrochit and the owners made the most spectacular breakfast. And she also taught me how to make the most perfect scrambled eggs. I still make them that way!
    And I’m sure if you have your way, macaroons will absolutely be compulsory in home economics 🙂

14. Isabelle
    Isabelle says:

This combination reminds me a little of a tapa I had at a Spanish restaurant, which was a little stacked bite of chorizo, seared scallop and blood pudding. It was divine!
    Love the idea of transforming it into a main course with the sea bass and the crispy chorizo scales. Maybe I can convince someone to make it for me for my birthday. 🙂