pineapple curd egg yolk recipe

1st Guest Post: Pineapple Curd

I am so excited.  Not only for hosting my first Guest Post but also launching a NEW SERIES of recipes entirely devoted to using egg yolks.  What better way to kick off the series than with the organic guru herself, Erin, author of BigFatBaker.com.  When I read her blog post the other day that she had found a new passion in eating and making curd, I thought: this is it! EGG YOLKS!  She’s brilliant.  As macaronivores, we’re always looking for ways to use up these yolks and what’s more, we can use curd to FILL macarons, too.

Now sit back and pay attention.  You are heading for Erin’s most tangy pineappley curd which you can use to fill your macarons for an extra special exotic touch. Coconut ones would be beautiful, for example.  Like macarons, this curd is gluten free.  Now without my further ramblings, it gives me great pleasure to hand you over to Erin…

pineapple curd egg yolk recipe

Erin, author of BigFatBaker.com :

I am so honored to be a guest here on MadAboutMacarons.com. When Jill invited me to share my egg yolk recipes, I was overjoyed. I can’t think of a better place to do my first guest post! This is my first, in a series of three, guest posts on curd recipes – Enjoy!

If you are new to the curd making process, do not worry. Making curd is surprisingly simple! All you have to do is follow the steps, and pay attention. What’s even better is the ingredients list for curds is short, and easy to keep organic.

When Jill initially asked me about a guest post I was in the process of making a pineapple curd. Pineapple is one of my all time favorite fruits, and I was intrigued to see if it would be tart and tangy like lemon curd, or more subdued and sweet.

Ultimately, I was pleasantly surprised with how the curd turned out. It is different from lemon curd in the sense that it doesn’t use butter. The lack of butter results in a slightly different texture, but it was still smooth and pudding like.

Remember how I said making curd is easy? It is. Promise.

PINEAPPLE CURD

1 medium sized, organic pineapple or 2 ¼ cups pineapple juice
6 large egg yolks
¾ cup white sugar
5 tbsp cornstarch

1.  First, juice your pineapple. Try and get as much juice as you can, you will need 2 ¼ cups.

Slice off the top and bottom, then carefully cut down the sides of the pineapple to remove the rind. Try and remove as little of the fruit as possible!

Cut into 1-inch pieces, and move all pineapple pieces to a blender. Add in 2-3 tbsp water, and blend. You could also use a food mill, or juicer.

You could also use the canned pineapple juice to make things even easier, but I highly recommend the fresh stuff.

2.  Next, in your saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Add in the cornstarch and pineapple juice, and whisk until everything is combined.

Hey, using egg yolks now to make macarons later!

3.  Set your burner to low (between 2 and 3 on my stove), and slowly bring up the temperature of your mixture. Over the next 3 minutes gradually increase the heat to medium (about 4 ½ on my stove) while you continue to whisk.

4.  After about 10 more minutes of whisking your curd will be starting to thicken up. Once this happens turn off the burner, remove from the heat, and continue to whisk for 5 more minutes.

5.  Allow the mixture to cool for 5-10 minutes before pouring into the jars. And you are done!

You now have fresh, organic pineapple curd to fill macarons, cakes, or eat by the spoonful.

pineapple curd yolk recipe

Thank you so much, Erin.
Don’t forget to check out Erin’s blog at BigFatBaker.com and say bonjour from me, ok?  She has many more gorgeous organic recipes to share with you.  She also has the most delicious organic raspberry curd.  I can tell you’re going to share a curd passion, too, very shortly…

1. Biren @ Roti n Rice
    Biren @ Roti n Rice says:

Wow, pineapple curd sounds exciting and delicious! This is a good curd to make with all the pineapples out in the stores. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Erin!

Jill, fantastic choice for your first guest post!

2. The Harried Cook
    The Harried Cook says:

Oh my! That sounds amazing… I have never heard of a pineapple curd before, but I think that it would taste sensational! I have some frozen shortcrust. A pineapple curd tart, perhaps? Bookmarking this! 🙂

Thank you for sharing, Erin & Jill! And congrats, Jill, on your first guest post! 🙂

3. Becky
    Becky says:

What a beautiful curd. I’ve been thinking of make some for awhile, but now I’m going to for sure.

Jill, a wonderful guest post!

4. Becky
    Becky says:

I’ve been thinking of making some curd, and now I am going to make it for sure. Thank you for your tutorial on curd, Erin. Great guest post.

5. hopeeternal
    hopeeternal says:

Over the past few months I have been collecting curd recipes on my site and continue to do so.
    I have seen Pineapple Curd before (though never using cornstarch/cornflour) however as my husband is the main curd eater in our house, but dislikes Pineapple, I am probably unlikely to make it. Just recently I tried Mango (recipe not yet posted) – the last one I added was Banoffee. I gather you can make curd from almost any fruit in combination with eggs, butter and sugar, though I still think you cannot beat the original citrus ones, especially lemon!
    hopeeternal
    ‘Meanderings through my Cookbook’

6. Hester Casey - Alchemy
    Hester Casey - Alchemy says:

Macaronivores 🙂 Very cute!

I love this curd – well all curds actually – but I particularly like that this is butter-free. I can eat lots of lovely pineapple curd, sandwiched between delightful macarons – and be practically guilt-free! Brava on this guest post!

7. Brandie
    Brandie says:

So nice to meet you Erin! What a perfect thing to make using up those egg yolks. Such a great flavor – especially with summer coming!
    And of course, this would be divine with macarons!!

8. Janice
    Janice says:

oh my goodness, would never have thought of Pineapple Curd. Great way to use those egg yolks. I have a brilliant recipe by Lady Clare Macdonald for a Lemon Curd Pavlova, basically you mix the Lemon curd with cream and pile it into the Pavlova, would work really well with pineapple curd, but kind of defeat the purpose of using up the egg yolks lol!

• BigFatBaker
      BigFatBaker says:

That’s funny you mention the pavlova with the lemon curd and cream mixture. I haven’t had the chance to post it yet, but I made that exact thing with this pineapple curd, fresh kiwi and strawberry – it was to die for!

9. thoma
    thoma says:

erin: my all time fave blogger, i share your prestige in posting your first guest post. loved the voila curd recipe…curd is something so totally different for us.

jill: thank you so much. and you’ve kick started your series on such an eggy note…walking on eggs all the time 😛
    organic guru…haha. i love your blether blether blether…