A Ballpark Challenge with Coca-Cola Macarons

The other day I discovered another site that adores macarons: MacTweets.  It’s run by Jamie and Deeba, who are both adorable macaronivores.  What is particularly fun about their site, is that they set a macaron challenge every month.  Last month the challenge was to have something chocolate in it. Previously, it was something spicy.  I could do that!  I contacted them, excitedly. Can I join in, too? I’m not on Twitter, but is that ok?  The fun was going to start.

THEN I saw the challenge. This one?  I honestly think I stumbled on a difficult one! 😀
Here was their macaron challenge for May:

“….Put aside all of those elegant flavors, the sophistication and beauty of those little French treats and think junk food! Transform your macs into the perfect ballpark (or couch potato) snack food! Give it the old ballpark twist, salty or sweet, creamy, crispy or ice cold and here’s a Hip Hip Hooray for the old ball game….snack!”

My first reaction was to go for a buttery, caramely popcorn.  That was perfect; but I discovered quickly that others had thought of this already with beautiful popcorn adorned macarons.  I had to think of something else.  Not easy, especially as we’re too tempted to dream up elegant flavours and go the sophisticated route with macarons.  But JUNK FOOD?  I am definitely not a junk food eater but one thing I could identify with is Coca-Cola.  A chilled coke in the summer heat, watching your favourite match.  Could I turn this into a macaron?  Hm.  This was certainly mad!

I made a start, flicking – perhaps a bit too wildly in places 😉 – dark food colouring to try a visual fizz.  After making them, Antoine’s cousin had a brilliant idea: I could have used some space dust fizzy sweets to crumble on top (just discovered they’re called pops rocks dips here; even better some sucre pétillant).  Merci, Manu – that’s a must for next time for a real fizzy sensation on the tongue! So, ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, I present you with my Coca-Cola Ballpark Snack Macarons for MacTweets:

Coca-Cola macarons: Ballpark Snack Macs

The filling’s main ingredient is actually Coca-Cola. Hm.  Not an easy one for the flavour.  It needed a bit of a boost with extra flavourings.  Coca-Cola extract is not something I have in my cupboards and so instead, I added a dash of caramel flavouring to concentrate the flavour.

Incidentally – if you just want the coca-cola “look” for your macarons, you could use blueberry curd as your filling (see guest recipe post for blueberry curd from BigFatBaker) for a different flavour.

Then I had some fun and sprayed them with Wilton red food colouring.

And since I’m a bit Mad About Macarons, I couldn’t resist doing a fun shot!

Happy summer games, mes amis!

Egg Yolk Recipe Series

Check out the latest recipe as part of the new series on using up your egg yolks.  This week my guest is Kate from Diethood.com.  She’s making us a Chocolate Crunchy Trifle with Egg Yolk Buttercream Frosting.  Quick, there’s only one spoon on that plate!

Have an extra fun and fizzy week! 🙂

1. sonia
    sonia says:

Hi There, This is looking absolutely delightful. Loved the new combo of ingredients and the recipe is so nicely made and presented. Saving this recipe of urs and wud love to give ur version a try on the coming weekend. Lovely pictures…Have a great day….Sonia !!!

2. HI Cookery
    HI Cookery says:

Am so honored to be participating in the Mactweets challenge with you, an expert and mac book author! The Coca Cola logo is a great idea. Very creative. Love that last photo of the macs relaxing in all their colorful glory. 🙂

3. shaz
    shaz says:

That is so, so clever! And I love the idea of pop rocks. I don’t eat a lot of junk food either but an icy-cold coke does help during summer 🙂 How did you make the filling, did I miss that bit? Very impressive take on the challenge.

4. Pudding Pie Lane
    Pudding Pie Lane says:

Oh wow, I’ve always been meaning to make something with cocoa cola in it, but I never really had an idea how to start. This is really creative, and looks excellent too. I’ll go check out the egg yolk stuff now 🙂

5. Lisa
    Lisa says:

Your coca-cola macs are fantastic, and I love that you ‘carbonated’ them with pop rocks! I’m totally awed! Amazing job!

6. Magic of Spice
    Magic of Spice says:

Absolutely brilliant! And so much fun…love the last photo in their little beach chairs 🙂 The pop rock idea would be a great add as well, fizzy macarons 🙂

7. Astral
    Astral says:

I love your coca-cola macs! Brilliant idea, I didn’t even think of cola. I love the design too. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, I’m still loving your book, every recipe I have tried has been perfect. I love that you’re joining Mac Tweets too. x

8. thoma
    thoma says:

Mad Hatter, Pretty Woman…wowsome and incredibly fun…coca cola and caramel…wow!

kudos!

is your editor still against large pics?

9. Spinneys Cauldron
    Spinneys Cauldron says:

Amazing – again – what an occasion you & your macarons create!
    Well done you, what fun & flavours. Of course you could also sing along with ” I’d like to buy the world macarons, and furnish them with fruit, iced apple trees & honey tease & perfect patisserie cream. I’d like to teach the world to bake, in perfect harmony, I’d like to buy the world macarons & keep its company .. I’m the real thing 😀 Oooh soo clever Jill You are absolutely Macarons’ Real Thing 😀

10. All That I'm Eating
    All That I'm Eating says:

These are so funny! What a great take on the junk food theme and you made them look so good. I especially like the macaron hanging out on the deck chair. Who know coke could be made into something so lovely.

11. Quay Po Cooks
    Quay Po Cooks says:

Hi Jill, I can appreciate the name of your blog after seeing all the incredibly pretty macarons you made. I have only try to make macaron once a few weeks ago and it was a BIG failure. My macrons become macawrongs!! I go to come here more often to get inspired to try again. Lovely work!

12. Manu
    Manu says:

You are a GENIUS! I think I have already told you that, but I cannot find a better word… You are so creative! And those macarons look perfect and delicious! I’d rather have those than ANYTHING else!!! Fantastic job Jill! 🙂

13. The Harried Cook
    The Harried Cook says:

This is such a fun post! And I love those macarons! How creative 🙂 the ‘fun shot’ is very cute too. What is that macaron drinking? Coca Cola, perhaps? I love how that other one’s relaxing on the pool chair. Very cool macarons! Thanks for sharing, Jill!

14. Amy
    Amy says:

Jill, these are awesome! I would never have thought to make coca cola into a macaroon, and they are so cute with the coca cola design! You are always so creative and inspiring with your recipes :)! Hope you have a wonderful week!

15. Nami @ Just One Cookbook
    Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Hi Jill! I can totally imagine your shocking face when you found out this month’s theme! But you did so well making only one of kind macarons! Cola-cola macarons!!! Macarons are simple, yet there is no limit in design, colors, and themes! What an Amazng job!!!! I don’t know anyone who’s serious and creative about macarons than you. You always surprise us with some new kind of macarons. I would never thought baking macarons can be this much fun!

16. Anne
    Anne says:

This is so outrageously good…I just can’t stop grinning! I love macarons, but have never attempted making them. These are just so creative! I’m just amazed! : )

17. Carolyn
    Carolyn says:

You really are a macaron superstar. I think these look perfect! Glad you bucked the trend and came up with something other than popcorn.

18. BigFatBaker
    BigFatBaker says:

These are amazing! I love the food coloring on top, it really adds to the magic of the coke bottle appearance. Maybe you could do a chapter on “junk food” macs in your next book!

Jill, your creativity is amazing! What a fabulous idea! You went all the way…and I love the whimsical shot at the end.

I’m still waiting for my Mad About Macarons book to arrive…I think my first attempt will be chocolate 🙂

20. purabi naha
    purabi naha says:

Interesting post! I loved the concept of using coca cola in macarons!! And, what i’d say is that you have made the perfect, NEW-GENERATION macarons. Thanks for sharing.

21. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite
    Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite says:

Jill they are absolutely adorable. So so so creative. I was one of those who went with the buttery caramely popcorn theme (to be posted later this week) but I played with using different nuts for my shells (with – ahem – a lot of trial and error). I can’t wait until my macarons work 100% of the time so I can play with flavours like you do. Fun pics too! (PS, I need to get me some of that spray!!)