chocolat pots de crème egg yolk recipe

Guest Recipe: Chocolate Pots de Crème

It has been a while since we’ve seen chocolate on the site.  Passing by a few chocolate shops this week, it has been uplifting to see beautiful pots of lily-of-the-valley arrangements, traditionally associated with 1st May to bring good luck. When my friend, Liz Berg told me that she had a recipe for chocolate pots to share for today’s guest post, I was so excited. It was just perfect!

Lily-of-the-valley pots in chocolate shops, Paris

A self-confessed chocoholic, one look at Liz’s blog, “That Skinny Chick Can Bake” and it’s confirmed.  She has – to date – 85 recipes for chocolate and more recipes including chocolate chips.  That can’t be bad for a skinny chick, n’est-ce pas?

Liz is not just a blogger but a friend to us as well.  Injected with humour, through her blog she shares her enthusiasm for cooking and baking in the family (even the dog isn’t left out!)  Liz is also so generous with her recipe tips and suggestions, and tempts us with her drool-worthy photos.

I am so proud that she has come today to share her pots of chocolately deliciousness for the egg yolk recipe series.  On top of that, they contain not just one or two but SIX egg yolks!  Topped with raspberries and white chocolate whipping cream.  No more from me – it’s over to Liz.

Liz of “That Skinny Chick Can Bake

I was delighted to receive an invitation from Jill to write a guest blog.  Jill is such a delightful blogger and friend…her warmth and good humor shine with every word she posts.  She’s seen me crank out dessert after dessert, so it was fun to be challenged to dig up a recipe which utilizes a lot of egg yolks.

Chocolate pots de crème are often found on our Christmas menu…and today’s version was for Easter.  I live in a household of chocoholics, so every holiday must have a chocolate dessert. You can serve these plain or, for special occasions, top them with a luscious white chocolate whipped cream.  If you use smaller dishes as I did, check for doneness early and often by doing a jiggle test…the outer edges should be set, though the middle may still wiggle when you gently tap the ramekin.

These make a stunning dessert…and use up 6 egg yolks.  I think I may have to whip up some macarons this week! Hope you all enjoy…thanks for this opportunity, Jill.

chocolate pots egg yolk recipe

Chocolate Pots de Crème

…loosely adapted from Bon Appetit

2 cups heavy cream
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup sugar
6 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla

1.  Preheat oven to 300º. Place six 6-ounce ramekins in large baking dish.
2.  Add cream to a saucepan and bring to a simmer.  Remove from heat and add chocolate.  Stir till chocolate is melted.
3.  Whisk eggs and sugar in a large bowl, till thick and pale.  Drizzle a bit of the hot chocolate mixture into eggs to temper, whisking constantly.  Continue slowly adding hot liquid while whisking till all liquid is incorporated.  Avoid incorporating air into mixture if possible. If you find you have some small, unmelted particles of chocolate at the bottom of the saucepan, gently heat till melted and add to bowl.
4.  Place a fine mesh sieve over a large measuring cup.  Strain custard.  Pour custard into the ramekins, then pour enough hot water into pan to reach halfway up ramekins.  Cover pan with foil and poke a few holes in foil to allow steam to escape.  Bake 25-30 minutes or till outer inch of custard is set.  Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate till serving time.
Serve with a dollop of white chocolate whipped cream and garnish with berries.

custard set in the ramekins

Now for the white chocolate cream…

White Chocolate Whipped Cream

…adapted from Bon Appetit

2 ounces good quality white chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup whipping cream

Combine chocolate and the 2 tablespoons whipped cream in small microwave safe bowl.  Gently microwave stopping and stirring frequently, till chocolate is melted and smooth.  Cool 10 minutes.  Whip the remaining cream to soft peaks.  Whisk in white chocolate.  Cover and refrigerate.
Et voilà: Chocolate Pots de Creme

Et voilà: Chocolate Pots de Creme

Many thanks to you, Liz, for sharing such a scrumptious yolky chocolatey dessert with us.  Now you’ve given us plenty of egg whites to put aside for macarons!

Don’t forget to pop by “That Skinny Chick Can Bake!” for many more tempting and delicious recipes from Liz and say hello from me!
  1. Amy
    Amy says:

Liz, these pots de creme sound fabulous! Not to mention that they are beautiful with the white chocolate whipped cream atop and the berries! They sound super decadent in the best way :)!

2. elisabeth
    elisabeth says:

Hi Lizzy and Jill…Great guest post, and love the chocolate pots de creme with the ever yummy white chocolate whipped cream.
    Could have used this for a lovely dessert for today!!!
    Hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day!
    xo

3. Brandie
    Brandie says:

White chocolate cream on top too? Yowsers – that just takes it to another chocolate-y level. Great guest post. Love you both!!

4. Choclette
    Choclette says:

Liz has made a brilliant job of making these look super appetising. Lovely idea to have your egg yolk series of guest blogger. Chocolate custard is still on my list of to do recipes. If I thought I could produce something half as stunning as these, I’d be even more tempted.

5. Annie
    Annie says:

Great guest post! I don’t think I’ve ever had chocolate pots. They look so good! I’m going to have to bookmark this one!

6. Sandra
    Sandra says:

This is a keeper. I always seem to have leftover yolks and most of the time the garbage disposal benefits from them. Thank you ladies.

7. Becky
    Becky says:

Hi Liz,

This is such a rich and chocolaty dessert, especially with the raspberries. I’m already a fan of your blog, and its great to see you over here.

Jill,
    Thank you for a great guest post!

8. Erin
    Erin says:

These look delicious! I love desserts that can be served individually like this – something about them is just so cute an appealing!

9. BigFatBaker
    BigFatBaker says:

Great guest post recipe! I have been wanting to make pots de creme but I don’t have any little oven proof dishes to bake them in. I might just have to make some for mother’s day this weekend when I go home though. My mom will love the chocolate, and she has everything I need to make them!

10. Sandra's Easy Cooking
    Sandra's Easy Cooking says:

Hello Ladies, what a fantastic guest post! Lizzy I love your chocolate pots, it will satisfy any chocoholic’s cravings, fantastic recipe!
    Jill thanks sharing your guest and one of my favorite bloggers with us!
    Have a wonderful day!!!

11. Becky
    Becky says:

Congratulations Lizzy on a wonderful post! Your Chocolate Pots de Creme is amazing, so rich and chocolaty, with the cute little raspberries. I have to go check out the other 85 chocolate desserts.

Jill, Thank you for a great guest blogger!

12. Parsley Sage
    Parsley Sage says:

Brilliant post! As soon as I saw on Liz’s site that she had a yummy 6-whopping-egg-yolk recipe over here I could click the link fast enough. Well done, all around!

13. Mia Summer Rose
    Mia Summer Rose says:

Am happy to find this wonderful blog thru Liz who i love 🙂
    And Liz and Jill does sound so cute said together.
    The chocolate pots de creme do look amazingly delicious and wish i could have atleast one of them mow.

14. Marsha @ The Harried Cook
    Marsha @ The Harried Cook says:

I am so happy to see this post! I love Liz’s blog and this blog and it’s awesome to see the two together in this guest post 🙂 I love the egg yolk series and I think these chocolate pots are an absolutely gorgeous addition to this collection! 🙂 Thank you Lizzy & Jill! 🙂

15. Manu
    Manu says:

Fantastic! I am so happy to see a recipe from Liz here… 2 of my favorite bloggers together! 🙂 Such a delicious recipe, too hard to resist it for another chocoholic like me! I love dark chocolate and my husband likes white… so these would make both of us happy! Thanks for sharing this Liz and thanks Jill for hosting another great guest post! 🙂

Oh, Jill, you made me look SO good with your post! Thank you SO much for the fun today. 85 recipes with chocolate…LOL…I never knew that statistic…LOL.
    xoxo, my friend~

Nami, thank you!!!

Thank YOU, Liz, for accepting. What a wonderful job. On my side, however, I still have some issues with the techie side: somehow problems cropped up with return spaces! So, apologies that photos and text are a bit crushed! Your photos are adorable.

17. Nami @ Just One Cookbook
    Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Hi Liz and Jill! What a great guest post! Nice sharing eggs. 🙂 Jill, having a guest post about egg yolk is a brilliant idea. Really clever one! Now everyone can enjoy 2 recipes. Liz, your chocolate pots de creme is beautiful!