mango egg tart egg yolk recipe

Guest Recipe: Mango Egg Tarts

Do you ever get all soppy sentimental over certain foods?  It may sound silly, but mine is simply with egg tarts.  When I initially came to live in Paris, it was sometimes overwhelming trying to cope with the language.  Everyone spoke so fast!  As a lost Scottish chatterbox, I often felt dumbstruck following tongue-twisting euuh-ahh-oooh French lessons at Alliance Française. Antoine, who had the sweet tooth, would buy egg tarts frequently to cheer me up.  They remain a sweet comfort whenever I’m feeling a bit numb dumb.  Yes, even 20 years on, it still happens when my children now correct my French!

Just recently, I discovered a wonderful blog, Roti n Rice. Its author, Biren, was preparing fascinating recipes that were a mix of Asian dishes but somehow seemed familiar with Western influences.  Biren was brought up in Malaysia and so was used to her family serving a mix of Chinese, Malay, and Indian cuisines.  As she grew up, Western, Japanese, and other East Asian cuisines were thrown into the mix.  Now Biren lives in Minnesota. What more can I say?  Biren mixes the two cooking cultures of Roti (meaning bread in Malay, Hindi, and other South Asian languages) with rice and noodles.

I was delighted when Biren accepted to do a guest post for us today, to add to the egg yolk recipe series.  What kind of twist would she do to an egg tart?  Well hang on, folks; wait until you see how my humble studenty egg tart has been given the new dinner party treatment.  Let me hand you over to Biren.

mango egg tart egg yolk recipe

Biren, Roti n Rice

Greetings to all you Macaronivores! I am Biren of Roti n Rice and I am much honored to be here today, contributing to Le Blog’s new series on egg yolk recipes. First of all, I would like to thank my gracious host, Jill for the invitation and to congratulate her on “Mad About Macarons”.  I have heard many good things about the book.

This new series on egg yolks is such a brilliant idea. It fills a niche in using up egg yolks, saving the whites for macarons. I have enjoyed the recipes from the other guest posts and look forward to more in the coming days.

Now, it is my turn to share a recipe with you that is reminiscent of the egg tart, a dim sum favorite. Instead of a pastry crust, I made an easy pressed graham cracker crust* filled with a mango custard. The custard is light and slightly tangy, contrasting beautifully with the crust. These tarts can be made ahead if you are having guests. Cover and leave to chill in the fridge until ready to be served. Enjoy!

(* Graham crackers may not be found outside of the US. Please substitute with Marie biscuits or Digestive biscuits. Ginger snaps would also work.)

mango egg tarts for teatime

Mango Egg Tarts

(makes 6 tarts)

Graham Cracker Crust

1¼ cups (140g) finely crushed Graham crackers (Marie biscuits, Digestive biscuits, or ginger snaps)
2 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp (70g) unsalted butter, melted

Mango Custard

1 cup (240ml) mango puree
¾  cup (170ml) coconut milk
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp (30gm) butter
2 tbsp rice flour

Line a standard size muffin pan with 8 foil liners.

Graham Cracker Crust

Stir together crushed graham crackers, sugar and butter until well combined. Press mixture evenly onto the bottom and sides of lined muffin pan. Bake in a 350?F (180°C) oven for 8 minutes. In the mean time, work on the custard. When crust is ready, remove and cool on a rack. Leave oven on.

Mango Custard
In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks lightly. Set aside.  Heat butter in a pan and cook flour. Pour in mango puree, coconut milk, and  sugar stirring over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in egg yolks until well combined. Pour warm filling into baked tart shells. Bake in a 350?F (180°C) oven for 12 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack. When it is cool enough to handle, transfer baked tarts to a flat pan. Cover with foil and chill for at least 4 hours in the fridge.
Mango egg tartlets yolk recipe
Many thanks, Biren, for sharing such a delicious yolky recipe with us.  Don’t forget to drop by Biren’s blog, “Roti n Rice” and say hello for me.  She has plenty more gorgeous sweet and savoury recipes to share.
  1. Brandie
    Brandie says:

I got excited just seeing the graham cracker crust! That tart feeling is absolutely to die for. Oh my goodness – so gorgeous. I can imagine the silky texture now. Such a great recipe!

2. jeannie
    jeannie says:

Wow! This is so gorgeous and bright! and I can use up my egg yolks…thanks Biren for a lovely recipe:D Hi Jill! I love drooling over your macarons:D beautiful blog!

3. Nami @ Just One Cookbook
    Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Hi Jill! Biren did a wonderful guest post! I love egg tarts and I’m basically going to dim sum just to eat egg tarts. While people are still eating regular food, I’m already ordering egg tarts because I can’t wait till the end. It was such a great idea to have this egg yolk recipe on your site Jill. Another nice guest post collection. :-)

4. Anne
    Anne says:

Oh these look divine! I love custards. But I especially like the idea of the graham cracker crust to keep things light! Beautiful! Thank you ladies for sharing this! : )

Jill, thanks for the introduction to Biren and her blog…can’t wait to pop over and check it out!

Biren, what marvelous tarts! They sound like the perfect summer treat…and so beautiful, too! Excellent guest post :)

6. Manu
    Manu says:

Ohhh I almost missed this post!!! And I would have been so sad! Lovely and delicious treat! Mango is one of my family favorite fruits, so as soon as I get some more mango puree I am going to try these egg tarts. Great way to use up some yolks! Thanks Jill and Biren! <3

7. LeQuan
    LeQuan says:

Hi Jill,

Thank you for sharing Biren’s lovely guest post with us.

Egg tarts are a must get when I go dim sum or to the Asian bakeries. I love your idea of the mango puree, what a great flavour addition to these lovely tarts. The Graham cracker substitution is a delightful change. Wonderful recipe as always, Biren.

8. Choclette
    Choclette says:

What lovely looking tarts and I bet they taste delicious – I like fruit and custard, I love mango. Think I might even have a tin of mango puree lurking in the cupboard somewhere.

9. Claudia
    Claudia says:

Such a “spring” custard with the addition of the mango – I have never baked with mangoes and will bookmark. Grand guest posting! (I like the idea of these wth the gingersnaps.)

10. Chris's Gourmet Fashion
    Chris's Gourmet Fashion says:

You have no idea how happy I am to have hopped over. Our favorite dim sum place ever which shut down about 2 years ago (well it morphed into something else), used to serve these and they were my daughter’s favorite. I will give them a try this weekend. They look really good.

11. Magic of Spice
    Magic of Spice says:

Hi Biren! These are wonderful and I love the crust idea, and would love with gingersnaps too :) Mango has always been way at the top of my favorite fruits so I think this would be a perfect treat for me :)
    Hi Jill, wonderful guest post and poster…
    Wishing you both a wonderful and safe weekend!

12. Carolyn
    Carolyn says:

I don’t know that I have ever heard of egg tarts…but I believe these would be perfect for a low carb makeover. Thanks for introducing us to Biren, Jill!
    PS – I took 8 years of french, as required in Canada…and I still can’t speak it at all!

13. Biren @ Roti n Rice
    Biren @ Roti n Rice says:

Merci Jill for the invitation and the heart warming intro! I am truly honored to be here today sharing with all your lovely readers.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. Have a great weekend!