Preparing some royal macarons for the party

A Royal Macaron Procession

Et voilà. The fairytale Royal Wedding has perhaps been and gone, but the fun isn’t completely over yet.  A promise is a promise, so let’s continue the celebrations with a procession of some Royal-inspired Macarons.

Preparing some royal macarons for the party

It may have been street party galore in Britain on Friday but in Croissy-sur-Seine, just outside Paris, there was another celebration to the Happy Couple amongst a thriving British community.  Sandra Chol – hairdresser extraordinaire of A Cut Above – invited us to view the wedding, complete with hats, British sandwiches and rather good French bubbly; plus it gave me a good excuse to make these macarons for the occasion.

Sandra passing around the egg & cress sandwiches

I hadn’t had egg and cress sandwiches in years!  Funny, since Brandie had just done a post for Egg and watercress sandwiches from The Country Cook.

lots of fun at a royal wedding party in Croissy

As the bells were ringing from Westminster Abbey the radiant couple emerged as the Duke and  Duchess of Cambridge.  Now it’s time to pass around the macarons!

Sapphire Blueberry macarons

I couldn’t resist making an oval sapphire-themed macaron: inspired by the special Ceylon sapphire and diamond engagement ring that Prince William gave to Kate Middleton.  It was the ring that Princess Diana chose for her engagement to Prince Charles in 1981.  I was personally obsessed with Diana and even tried to copy her hairdo as a teenager!

If you didn’t already see my last guest post, check out Erin’s recipe for Blueberry Curd.  This was an ideal filling for Blueberry macarons to give that royal sapphire look.

Eleanor’s Saltire macarons to celebrate the Scottish connection

Meanwhile in Scotland, Eleanor Abraham – Editor at Waverley Books – was inspired by the Scottish Saltire for her royal macarons.  The romance all happened in Scotland, when Prince William and Kate Middleton met at St Andrew’s University (I can’t help feeling sentimental on that one, since I also met my husband at University in Scotland: Scottish Universities have a lot to answer for ;-)).  Did the royal newly-weds head off for a long honeymoon weekend in Scotland, after all?

Macaron Crown by Alan Quelleron

Also in Scotland, Alan Quelleron is another macaron lover.  He works at The New Club in Edinburgh and is always striving for perfection with his macarons and other pastries.  Here is Alan’s Royal-inspired Champagne, Strawberry and Peanut Butter Macaron. The odd Champagne bubble will still tingle in the mouth when you eat this rich yet light macaron. Did you know that Pol Roger Champagne was served at the wedding?  Pol Roger was Sir Winston Churchill’s favourite bubbly.

Alan’s Champagne, Raspberry and Peanut Butter Macaron

Meanwhile in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Raja Suzana was passing around her sweet macarons.

Rose & white chocolate macarons from Raja Suzana

Raja, en ex-flight attendant, is not only a keen baker and macaronivore but sounds like a Bond Girl: she has climbed Mount Kinabalu twice (at 4095m, the highest mountain in South East Asia) and is into scuba diving and underwater photography.  Suzana was inspired with rose and white chocolate macarons.

From Raja Suzana, Malaysia

It’s funny how we both chose the same kind of colour scheme.  I’ve done a macaron version of the British classic dessert, Bakewell Tart: except these are gluten-free without the pastry.  I basically took the recipe for almond macarons (see p.38), added a dash of lemon zest and a touch of raspberry jam on top, before assembling the macaron shells.

Bakewell Tart Macarons

Others with blueberry curd

Royal Cupcakes? Excuse me, make way for the Royal Macarons…

Anyone for a cup of Darjeeling? Did you know that the fourth largest surge in electricity was recorded in the UK following the end of TV coverage of the wedding?  The nation were dying for their cuppa following the end of the broadcast and the equivalent of a million kettles were boiled at exactly the same time.

Sticky Toffee Pudding Macarons

Apparently Kate adores another classic, British dessert: Sticky Toffee Pudding.  Don’t forget that the recipe for a gluten-free macaron version is on p.86 for all STP lovers.  On the other hand, Prince William loves chocolate.  So here’s a chocolate-caramel macaron (recipe on p.55), given the royal touch by brushing on some bronze metallic food lustre.

Chocolate-caramel macaron

What a wonderful way to end the procession with Le Macaron Royal: Joshua’s Vanilla Bean Macaron with Fresh Berries.  Please pop by Joshua Alan’s blog, “Just Eat!” and say bonjour from me.  He is an aspiring American pastry chef and is currently studying French in Normandy.  I adore how he has used the strawberries and blueberries to create the Union Jack.

Joshua will shortly be sharing one of his recipes for the egg yolk guest recipe series.  In the meantime, have a wonderful week!

1. Curry and Comfort
    Curry and Comfort says:

These are simply magnificent!! Well done! Thank you very much for stopping by my blog as well. I hope you enjoyed the eggplant salad recipe. I certainly am enjoying your lovely blog and recipes! : )

2. Pauline
    Pauline says:

sorry, how English am I? Whizzed through all the royal stuff but it was the egg and cress sandwiches and the sticky toffee macarons that really caught my eye 🙂 All looks lovely of course x

3. Choclette
    Choclette says:

My goodness, people’s creativity never seizes to amaze me. The one that most caught my eye though was the Sapphire inspired macaron – stunning. Then I discover it’s yours – I guess it wasn’t for nothing that you wrote your book 🙂

4. Gerry Speirs
    Gerry Speirs says:

Wow, what an amazing blog site. I particulary like the saltire version as this is my flag. Scottish but been in California for the past 11 years.
    Thanks for sharing!

5. Eftychia
    Eftychia says:

Very beautiful!!!! Thanks for sharing.
    In honour of the newly weds I prepared with my grandmother halloumi cheese, which I will post in my blog soon…

Natalie,
      Merci. Nothing genius but fun. Beauty with the macaron is once you get going you’ll see for yourself: you just want to make more flavours and put your own personal touch to them. Macarons = an empty canvas so you can do whatever you like. Go on: enjoy yourself!

6. Emily @ A Cambridge Story
    Emily @ A Cambridge Story says:

Jill, thank you for visiting my blog and for your kind comment! May I say that these macaroons are incredible. They are becoming very popular in the US these days but I doubt I could make them as well as these!! Love the royal themes!

Of COURSE you can make them, too. They are not as hard as you think! As they say, “If I can do it, anyone can…” 😉

7. Manu
    Manu says:

Ohhh Jill!!! CONGRATULATIONS for the FoodBuzz Top9!!! I am so happy for you: totally deserved!!! It was high time! 🙂 A big hug!

8. Megan @ Wanna Be A Country Cleaver
    Megan @ Wanna Be A Country Cleaver says:

Jill – my copy of Mad about Macarons from Kim at Liv Life just came in the mail today and I am ecstatic! I’m dreaming of lavender macarons right now. And as a Royal Wedding Fanatic myself – these blueberry ones spoke to me. They are on my list to make now as well – with just about every other recipe in your book.

All the best – Megan Pence aka Wanna Be A Country Cleaver

Thanks so much for the feedback and glad to hear everything turning out well. The oven is still the major player so once you’ve made friends and know each other better, things are so much easier! Thanks for mentioning the book and really pleased you got the prize through Joshua’s site. Keep in touch!

9. katescakesandbakes
    katescakesandbakes says:

Oh. Wow. How amazing are these?

I’m just slowly getting into macaron-making and these are so inspirational! I love the idea of a sticky toffee macaron, and the crowns are especially regal!

10. Pudding Pie Lane
    Pudding Pie Lane says:

Wow, these are amazing, all so talented. I love the bakewell tart ones (where did you get the ring from?) and the sapphire blueberry macarons, I really want to try some now 🙂

11. Kim- Liv Life
    Kim- Liv Life says:

Wonderful, just wonderful!! I loved the wedding and love these macarons. Being a “macaron newbie”, I’m simply amazed at what one can do with these little shells and fillings. The saphire one is my favorite, and I love the ring too. Alas, I also did the Lady Di haircut, and unfortunately it didn’t look quite as good on me as it did on her.
    Wonderful roundup, Jill!!

12. The Harried Cook
    The Harried Cook says:

How beautiful… I especially like the blueberry sapphire ones… they are perfect! 🙂 and those little crowns are so adorable on those macarons! a really royal treat 🙂

thanks for another awesome post, jill! you are seriously making me consider trying my hand at baking these things… but i am still too nervous! :p

13. Nami @ Just One Cookbook
    Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Oh how fun! What a fun event/post you created with all kinds of macarons from all over the world. The color of your sapphire macarons is just like the ring. AMAZING! Macaron is a fun sweet as you can add so many different colors to it. I started to love macarons even more because of you, and I thought you should know. 😀 Thanks for sharing this fun post!

14. Hanna
    Hanna says:

Beautiful selection, love the sapphire ones and the bakewell tart ones! I made little Eton Mess Union Jack Macarons for our royal wedding party, seems the royal macaron bug has spread far and wide!

15. Brandie
    Brandie says:

Oh, I would have loved to have been at your party – how fun!! Thank you for the mentioning my sandwiches too ;o)
    So funny about the surge of electricity after the wedding…LOL. Now THAT is an interesting fact!
    All of those macarons are absolutely amazing! And I love the chocolate caramel macaron, I think that is my favorite. Very symbolic and I bet it tasted heavenly!

16. Becky
    Becky says:

What a gorgeous collection of macrons from many countries, celebrating the Royal Wedding. I love Alan’s Champagne, Raspberry, and Peanut Butter Macrons. I’m sure that a good time was had by all.

17. Magic of Spice
    Magic of Spice says:

I agree with Carolyn, these are all fantastic…but the blueberry sapphire are amazing, and I love the oval shape!
    This is such a fun post Jill, I would have loved to be part of that get together and I adore egg and cress sandwiches but mostly I want the French bubbly 😉

18. Spinneys Cauldron
    Spinneys Cauldron says:

Wow what a procession, beautiful, elegant & stunning! I have a mission now, to create some of the toffee ones .. mmmmm gorgeous flavours & ideas. I’m mad,I’m mad, I’m mad & happy to be soo mad about macarons 😀

Although Jill you seem to have forgotten the not quite so posh procession for the commoners . . er you didnt add my photies of my modest macarons HA HA HA HA No worries I am joking !!!!!!!

19. Thomasina
    Thomasina says:

Wow, after watching all the celebrations on Friday and after reading this blog I simply must make macarons Jill. How many of us have the book and haven’t had the courage to try? My husband made them and they turned out exactly how it said in the book. Golf season has started so I’ll just have to make them myself.

20. Carolyn
    Carolyn says:

I love all of these, but I am particularly taken with the blueberry sapphire ones you made! Just gorgeous and I bet they tasted wonderful too!