french poppy macarons by the Seine by Jill @ Mad About Macarons

French Poppies: A Macaron Impression

Think of French poppies and often Claude Monet’s impressionist painting comes to mind, n’est-ce pas?

Monet painted Camille and Jean strolling amongst the poppies near Argenteuil – not far from where we live.  I couldn’t stop thinking about Monet’s impression of the poppy field as we took a drive to the country recently. En route, poppies were out in all their glory – fields upon fields – to say bonjour.

There was this urge to make French poppy macarons as soon as I got back home.  I had found an intense poppy essence (arôme coquelicot), which was like tasting pure bonbons as a child.

As the poppy flavour was so sweet – and it’s still the rhubarb season – I added a touch of rhubarb compôte.  A classic is to pair poppy with strawberry, but the rhubarb just gave that tiny touch of tartness that brought out all the memories of poppy coquelicot sweeties.

Some poppy macarons with a touch of rhubarb

As you can understand, I’m not allowed to publish my macaron recipes on the site.  So, to make the filling, grab a copy of the book and use the recipe for orange blossom macarons on p.77.  Simply replace 5 tbsps orange flower water with rhubarb compôte and use 1 tsp of the poppy extract and follow the rest of the recipe as in the book.

french poppy macarons by the Seine by Jill @ Mad About Macarons

And what better way to eat them?  Sitting in a poppy field with Parisian poppy macarons in a basket, served with a chilled bottle of fizz: fizzy water – or what about Macaron Prosecco?

There’s perhaps some things missing:  the easel, paints and Monet’s pipe.  Let the dream live on: wear a panama hat. That way we can take our hats off to all Dads out there and wish you all a very Happy Fathers’ Day on Sunday.

Cheers to your good health!

Egg Yolk Recipe Series

I am so proud to welcome my talented guest, Nami from Just One Cookbook.  Just in case you missed it, see what she has prepared for us, using 4 egg yolks: a gorgeous recipe for Crème Caramel, or Japanese Purin.   This has to be the best crème caramel I’ve ever seen.  Thank you Nami for sharing this with us!

Visit to Pain de Sucre Pâtisserie in Paris with ParisPâtisseries

Join us on our mad macaron adventure at Pain de Sucre Pâtisserie in Paris.  I recently went with Adam Wayda of Paris Patisseries fame, to watch them making macarons using their new macaron-making machine.  Please don’t forget that this is on a large scale (about 2000 macarons a day) and don’t let that put you off making them yourselves at home.  Remember, they are a lot easier than you think!

Pain de Sucre making macarons Part I

Pain de Sucre making macarons Part II

I’m so inspired by Adam’s photography and so many of my blogger friends’ photos, I’m trying to work on enlarging my own just now, as they are all too small on the site (you’re right, Thoma ;-)).  This last photo is blown up but have no idea how it will look on your screens (possibly too big?)  By next week, I’ll have it sussed – I hope.

Bonne semaine and macaron making!

1. hopeeternal
    hopeeternal says:

Last Summer on holiday in France I discovered that Coquelicot was not just a pretty flower but also a flavouring. We first had it at breakfast as a jar of jam – the famous Coquelicot de Nemours – then later as a ‘feature’ flavour of ice cream in one of the Flunch chain of restaurants. I tried in vain to buy a jar of jam – sweet and very floral – and will be trying again this year as we pass near Nemours. I saw a bottle of extremely expensive flavouring syrup in an upmarket tourist shop but it does seem rather elusive. The only type I seem to be able to find online in the UK is for aromatherapy type poppy scent rather than culinary essence. Is it online only or can you suggest which type of shop in France I should go into?
    How did you get the wonderful red. It is such a brilliant (literally) colour match – I can only imagine how wonderful the macarons tasted!
    hopeeternal
    ‘Meanderings through my Cookbook’

Lovely to hear from you. I agree about the prices: if you get the syrup, they just use “arôme” in it anyway. I linked to it in the post, via Meilleurduchef.com. That’s where I get my extracts/aromas and the powdered colourings for the kitchen.

2. Nami @ Just One Cookbook
    Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

How did I miss this post!? I’m so sorry I’m behind – I checked egg yolk recipes but I’m behind in reading this post. I love poppies and these macarons are GORGEOUS! I’m always amazed how you match the color you like. It’s impressive. Now I only wish I can have a bite of those yummy macarons…

3. Natalie
    Natalie says:

I always think of that painting when I see fields of poppies too. That, and a wallpaper I had in my bedroom when I was little (Laura Ashley, obviously!) I have no idea what poppy essence tastes of (or that it existed) but I imagine it’s lovely with the rhubarb. I’m desperate to try it now!! 😀

4. Sylvie
    Sylvie says:

Quelle belle idée la compote de rhubarbe..je salive juste à y penser :le sucré et l’acidité YUM YUm
    Je serais fière d’aller à Boston voir une partie de baseballl avec de si jolis macarons.Babe Ruth viendrait m’en voler!!!I like you site so much. Have a nice summer !

OK, I’ll make daisy chains out of them! I’ve done violet before but didn’t take photos so will just have to make them again, just for you, Carol 😉

• parisbreakfast
        parisbreakfast says:

Better yet…
        A necklace of Macs in ‘daisy-chain’ style!
        Can you shellack it or something?
        Dip in polymer?
        I will buy one toute a sweet and smile broadly whilst wearing it.
        🙂

5. Lisa ;
    Lisa ; says:

The color of these macarons is spectacular..perfect poppies! YOu truly turn macrons into little, delicious works of art..so fun to come here and see what you came up with. 🙂

6. Sue
    Sue says:

Wow, these look fantastic Jill. I had never heard of poppy essence before so will search around to find some. I can imagine the rhubarb in the filling was delicious too, it is a very underestimated fruit. I have to say that I went to make Raspberry and Rhubarb jam yesterday as the raspberries are ripening rapidly and couldn’t believe that my normally reliable rhubarb plant has hardly any stems. I’m told it is down to the dry Spring as there’s none in the shops either.
    Thank you too for the links to Adam, wonderful photography and making me rather peckish – think there’s just 2 rose macarons left!

Thanks, Sue. I’ve linked to meilleur du chef online in the post, which stocks it (that’s where I got it), if that helps. Raspberry & rhubarb sound lovely together. Interesting about the rhubarb – ours in the garden were skinny and the leaves eaten by some intruders. Not much luck!

7. Magic of Spice
    Magic of Spice says:

I am always working backwards, so first let me address the photos and enlargement…Not at all too big…
    Love it!
    And these are gorgeous macarons, truly gorgeous! The color is just bursting 🙂 And the balance with the rhubarb is perfect!
    I will be visiting Nami today and will check out your other links 🙂
    P.S. Monet is a favorite of mine with this gorgeous inspiration at the top of my all time loves 🙂
    Hope you are having an amazing week, hugs

Oh, thank you so much – also about the photos. Still not sure and waiting on my web designer to come and save the day to help make a better uniform size possible on the site. Would look so much better. Fingers crossed!

8. Hester Casey - Alchemy
    Hester Casey - Alchemy says:

Jill, I think these are my new favourites out of all the macarons you’ve made. They are so beautifully photographed and I love the whole development of the recipe. Claude Monet would be proud. They’ve certainly made an impression on me!

9. The Harried Cook
    The Harried Cook says:

I think it is so clever that you matched the color of the macarons to the poppies! And what a perfect match… The pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I love that the macarons are right in the poppy fields… Can’t wait for my book to arrive! Ordered it a while ago and still waiting… Fantastic post, Jill! 🙂

10. Brittany
    Brittany says:

Bonjour!
    I am so happy to have found your blog (via CarolG’s Paris Breakfasts). Your blog concept is delightful – I love all things French and macarons are definitely included. This post is particularly lovely…I have never seen such gorgeous photos of French poppies.

Lovely to hear from you, Brittany. Tried looking up your website but I can’t get to it – since I love everything French, too 😉 THanks for visiting.

11. Pauline
    Pauline says:

Thank goodness for French flavours And rhubarb of course. love the shop link, lots of sweet flavours too but these are nicely offset by the tangy rhubarb. lovely.
    Ps Just to let you know I made my first batch at a family gathering but I still had to explain NO they are not ye olde English macaroons AND no there is no coconut in this recipe ( choc and mint ) AND yes they do taste better than the little ones from Waitrose. Yes they ate them all.

12. Pauline
    Pauline says:

Thank goodness for French flavours Arôme coquelicot , want it too and lots of other nice things in that store. Lifting it with tangy rhubarb sounds my ideal. Great post.

PS I made my first batch of macarons for a large family gathering and I still had to explain to some of them THAT they do not look like ye olde English macaroon because thank g they are not. NO they do not have coconut in these ones. YES they do have them in Waitrose but not as nice.’ Thought you might find that amusing 🙂 I made mint and choc ones to serve with coffee.

13. Kim - Liv Life
    Kim - Liv Life says:

Just beautiful, Jill! The poppies are gorgeous too. Here in California we have a different kind of “wild” poppy, but I have this kind planted in my garden. I simply can’t imagine how lovely a field of them would look.
    The color of your macaron is so nice. I just love the brilliant colors of these guys!

14. Manu
    Manu says:

Oh My!!!! These are fantastic Jill! I love those photos! Yet another mouthwatering combination of flavours and colours! Oh those lovely and delicate poppies! Great job!!!

15. Anne
    Anne says:

It is so amazing how your inspirations come to life in your macarons! These are just beautiful, and I imagine so sweet and chewy. And thank you for inviting us to the French countryside! : )

16. Chef Dennis
    Chef Dennis says:

Jill
    just when I think you have reached new levels with your macaron’s, you come out with yet another unique flavor!
    The colours are simply amazing, and I’m sure they were delicious…what a wonderful day you must have had, in the poppy fields, oh how I do miss France!
    Cheers
    Dennis

17. Lisa McDonnell
    Lisa McDonnell says:

I can’t believe you got the macarons to be the exact color of the poppies. You are so clever to take them out to the field of poppies for their closeup!

I’m so excited, your cookbook just arrived in the mail this past weekend! Jill, It is fabulous!!!! You should be so proud…

I can’t wait to make my first batch of macarons… I’ll keep you posted.

Gosh, Lisa. I’m feeling so proud just reading your lovely comment. I’m so glad you like the book. A lot of work has gone into it so makes it feel worthwhile when seeing this, thank you so much. 🙂
      For the macaron colour, it’s just a question of putting in a dash more red powdered colouring. It’s nothing clever and not complicated, trust me. It’s easy and fun – just want to share it with others, that’s all. Look forward to hearing about your macaron-making, Lisa.
      Thanks for all the other lovely comments, too. Cheered me up no end since been feeling so down with this horrid back!

18. Biren @ Roti n Rice
    Biren @ Roti n Rice says:

Your poppy macarons are stunning! I love that last picture. The color matches the real poppies so well. I did not know there is poppy essence out there. I’ll have to keep a lookout for it. I used to grow orangy yellow Californian poppies in Colorado and they were just gorgeous!

19. Amy
    Amy says:

Jill, as always these look amazing! I love that you have taken inspiration from one of Monet’s paintings and created something just as lovely and delicious! The color on these is brilliant and intense, and I am sure they taste even better than they look! Hope you have a wonderful week :)!

-Amy

Such stunning macarons, Jill…the color is absolutely divine! Still waiting for my book to arrive…and to make my first macarons (chocolate, of course :))! xo