mint-mille-feuille-fraise-des-bois

Peppermint Millefeuille with Fraises des Bois

Last weekend these little wild strawberry jewels were just beckoning in the sun along with redcurrants and mint from the garden. It didn’t take long to find inspiration for a quick dessert from Bernard Loiseau’s “Cuisine en Famille; I love this book (also as it’s signed by his wife, Dominique), even if the only problem is that there are absolutely no photos: you have to imagine in your head what the final result should be for each recipe. On the other hand, there’s no “pressure” – just use your creativity and imagination and you’re doing fine. It’s the flavour that counts.

This started out as his peppermint ice-cream with strawberries but as I began making the cream, another horrible migraine decided to interrupt the recipe. As it had the same quantities initially, it was quickly adapted as a crème pâtissière (pastry cream) and sandwiched between ready-made puff pastry cut into rounds using a cookie cutter.  (OK, I cheated with ready-made pastry, but there are times when it’s essential.)  The result was a pastry dessert ready in no time.  It’s perhaps not top of the fashionable pastry boutique parade in Paris, but the taste certainly made up for it!

Peppermint Millefeuille with Fraises des Bois

Serves 8

Preparation Time: 15 minutes (+1 hour infusion)
Cooking Time:
15 minutes

50cl whole milk
4 egg yolks
1 large branch of peppermint
70g sugar
50g cornflour
500g pure butter puff pastry
(or 2 packets ready rolled pastry rounds)

1. Take the leaves off the peppermint branch, wash and dry them carefully.
  2. Boil the milk with the mint leaves, take off the heat and leave the leaves to infuse for 1 hour with the lid on.
  3. Beat together the egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy, then whisk in the cornflour.
  4. Remove the leaves from the milk with a slotted spoon then beat some of the milk into the egg mixture.  Transfer this to the milk and over a medium heat, continue to whisk for about 5 minutes until the mixture thickens.
  5. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
  6. Set aside the custard to cool, whisking every so often so that no skin forms on top.  Once cool, transfer the cream to a piping bag.
  7. Meanwhile, cut small rounds from a pre-rolled sheet of puff pastry (or roll a block of puff pastry to about 2mm) using a 7cm cookie/scone cutter.  For one round I could get 15 discs: you shall need 3 per person.
  8. Place each disc on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Place another sheet of baking parchment over the discs and top with another baking sheet to stop the pastry discs from puffing in the oven.
  9. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden (I cooked mine for 15 which was a bit too much, as you can see.)
  10. Leave the pastry discs to cool, then pipe out the pastry cream on each layer and top with the fruits.
  11. Finish off with a dusting of icing sugar.

Store the egg whites in a sterilised jam jar with the lid on and keep in the fridge for 3-4 days until you’re ready to make your macarons…

See Mad About Macarons, Wimbledon and Wild Strawberrieson Le Blog.

1. Val
    Val says:

Peppermint in any dessert form will always win me over. I love this quick dessert idea and think there’s absolutely nothing wrong with taking a few short cuts (especially with puff pastry). Hopefully your migraine wasn’t too bad?

2. Susan
    Susan says:

So wonderful … wild strawberries are like little jewels aren’t they? They make me wonder what steroids we have used to create domestic hybrids… your little millefeuille are just lovely.

3. Priscilla - She's Cookin'
    Priscilla - She's Cookin' says:

Congrats on the Top 9, Jill! The taste of fresh wild strawberries is amazing on its own, so I can only imagine how delicious and refreshing your millefeuille tasted with the pop of peppermint! Hope you’re feeling better now.

4. Natalie
    Natalie says:

Congrats on Top 9 Jill, this sound so beautiful. I love those wild strawberries, haven’t had them for years but it’s one of those flavours you don’t forget. I’m sure it’s lovely with the peppermint. Hope you’re feeling better now 🙂

5. Chef Dennis
    Chef Dennis says:

Jill what a beautiful presentation with your Millefueuille! I can only imagine how delicious it was, those lovely berries and that cream…..sigh
    so sorry to hear about your migraine, I’m sure the ice cream would have been incredible, but this dessert certainly made up for it. You can’t always make everything from scratch and I wouldn’t know where to begin to make my own puff dough!

6. ping
    ping says:

Aww.. the mint should take away some of the migraine. This is lovely and I can see myself biting into one and the filling squirting out from behind! LOL

Thanks, Ping; it did kind of squirt out everywhere! I read later that mint helps headaches but this was so bad it needed more than that. Had it all week – this was my last supper before it properly kicked in. Have a good week.

7. Anne
    Anne says:

Ohhh…this looks so pretty! And I imagine sweet and refreshing! It sounds like you have quite a treasure of a cookbook! (You are far more creative than I…I NEED the pictures!) I hope you are feeling well once again soon! : )

8. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite
    Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite says:

Bernard Loiseau, huh? That book’s been on my list for a while now. Danger, FNAC is just around the corner from me!

I LOVE this millefeuille so much – peppermint and strawberries is a wonderful combo. Hope your migraine is completely gone!

9. Manu
    Manu says:

This looks really go to me Jill!!! I always use ready made puff pastry… I have actually never made it at home (I’ll have to try it sooner or later)… hehehe I love strawberries and mint together! Great summer dessert! Hope you feel better soon my friend! <3

10. The Harried Cook
    The Harried Cook says:

I don’t much care for cookbooks without pictures myself, but I know what you mean about ‘no pressure’… You’ve made such a pretty dessert here! I absolutely LOVE mint, and I bet this tastes fabulous! I wish I could buy ready made puff-pastry here, but I do have some homemade stashed in the freezer. Must try this sometime soon! So yummy… Sorry to hear about your migraine, but you came through despite that! Great post, Jill! 🙂

11. Maureen
    Maureen says:

This looks so good! I have made something similar but used wonton wrappers instead of the puff pastry. Brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with sugar before baking.

12. Amy
    Amy says:

Jill, this looks amazing! You are so lucky to have access to wild strawberries and fresh mint! This sounds delicious, and I love the flavors and textures going on in this beautiful dessert! Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)!

13. Parsley Sage
    Parsley Sage says:

Oh that’s lovely! Peppermint is such a fantastic dessert flavor and I never really get to have it other than Christmas time. I love this dish, readymade pastry and all! 🙂

14. Becky
    Becky says:

I have lots of mint in my herb garden, so I could make this fancy dessert, no problem. I could even use the puff pastry, so nice. I’m bookmarking this for sure.

15. Carolyn
    Carolyn says:

Cheating with ready-made puff pastry in the face of a wicked headache is NOT cheating! It’s necessity, I am amazed you still pulled off such a gorgeous dessert!

16. Nami @ Just One Cookbook
    Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Hm you made a good point. I always prefer cookbooks with pictures, but it’s true you can use your imagination to make your version without being stress if your creation is just like from the book. Your direction seems too easy for this beautiful dessert! I love the gorgeous look of this millefeuille. It’s my mom’s favorite dessert!