mini mushroom macaron

French Mushroom and Truffle Macarons of the Season

There has been a definite change in the air over the past 10 days around Paris.  The first sign of autumnal golden leaves are appearing. Slowly but surely.

first sign of Autumn trees

The sun has been shining but jings, the wind has had more of a mistral effect from the French South than anything else. When that strikes, a 20°C sunny day can feel like you’re in the north of Scotland. And I know what that feels like.

Mornings are becoming chilly; it’s time to put on that coat and admire the colourful scarves making their first fashionable autumnal appearances on the sidewalk. I’m not so sure it’s that fashionable: they’re covering up the first signs of a sore throat. The French always wear scarves to accompany throat infections. It’s vraiment cute.

wild mushrooms in the garden - not for eating

first mushroom in the garden – but not for eating!

When Jamie and Deeba posted the MacTweets Mac Attack #23 Challenge for September, it was something that brought back the warm to the cockles.  After 4 months of summer dilly-dallying, it was high time I joined in some seasonal fun.  The challenge was to celebrate the change of seasons through our passion de macarons.

giant tiramisu macarons with marsala figs

This past couple of weeks, we’ve been enjoying the brief period of French figs with a quick and easy fig tart and roasted marsala figs with giant coffee macarons and tiramisu cream.

Equinox last week seemed to have an affect on my baking habits this time, however…

… Which axis were my macarons headed for MacTweets?

mini mushroom and truffle macarons for the change of season

Pumpkins are gradually appearing but they are not quite there yet.  Right now the French markets are proudly displaying mountains of marvelous mushrooms in all shapes and sizes, to herald the start of Autumn.  Cepes, trompettes, pieds de mouton, girolles, champignons de Paris and chestnut mushrooms are displayed in all their glory.  We even discovered more (this time edible) mushrooms dans le jardin.

mushroom macarons growing in garden

Let’s take that one again…

from another angle…

Parisian macaron mushroom

A macaron mushroom!

You guessed right.  Well, I am officially Mad about Macarons, n’est-ce pas?  You are looking at cepes, chestnut mushroom and truffle macarons, inspired by the earth and its axis at this time of year en France.

I followed the same principle as the other savoury mad macs in the book regarding ratio of liquid and cornflour in the filling. I fried some chestnut and cepes mushrooms until they sweated off all their liquid and infused them into the cream, finally blitzing the whole lot and adding a dash of good quality truffle oil.  The chocolate dusting on the shells is 100% Belgian chocolate without any sugar. Don’t forget to dust the shells after airing, just before they go in the oven.

macarons mushroom out of oven

Et voilà.  I also added just a touch of cayenne in there to give it a kick. We all love macarons with feet but why not give a bit of a kick to them, too? 😉

They are great on their own served as an apéritif with hazelnuts and with a chilled white wine from the Jura, for example.  I tried this – especially as it’s the Foire aux Vins just now so need to taste if wines are any good or not before buying more – and they got the thumbs up. Or why not serve them along with some creamy mushroom soup? That certainly gets the conversation going at the dinner table.  In any case, you’ll find yourself on another axis when sharing this with friends.

mini mad mac mushroom

Life is too short to stuff a mushroom – make a mini mad mac

Thanks again to Jamie and Deeba of MacTweets for providing us macaronivores with yet another month of macaron inspiration!

Enjoy the new season!

1. Nancy/SpicieFoodie
    Nancy/SpicieFoodie says:

Oh my these are just too cute! I love that you found inspiration from your surroundings. The photo with the mushrooms and the macaron is so great. Will head over to check out the MacTweets.

Tina, I’m a sensitive cookie: these mushroom macs were inspired by September’s MacTweets and are brand new “mad macs” to add to the collection. The sweet ones were just taken from the book to show I can still do “normal” macarons. 😉

2. Biren @ Roti n Rice
    Biren @ Roti n Rice says:

You are so creative with those macarons! I have yet to get into the fray and I really should since macarons are naturally gluten-free which means the whole family can enjoy it. I already have your book, the mat, a piping bag (got to look into the nozzle)…maybe just not the courage 🙁

BTW, I just realize my first comment was a little weird about not finding out about this section of your web. Truly, I must be half awake. I genuinely thought I was at another page…haha! Sorry about that!

Don’t worry, Biren. Right, when are you going to make them? You’re all ready to go so what are you waiting for? Who needs courage? If I can do it….
      Just go for it, girl! Hugs, J xo

3. Renata
    Renata says:

What a cute “mushroom” macaron! Now that I made my first successful macaron, I look at these beauties with other eyes. Thanks so much for your lovely comment, coming from you, it made my day, seriously!

4. Amy
    Amy says:

Jill, everything on this post sounds delicious! The mushroom inspired macaroons are absolutely adorable! I hope you are enjoying fall to it’s full potential :)!

5. thelittleloaf
    thelittleloaf says:

This is SUCH an awesome idea – savoury macarons, wow! There’s a restaurant we go to in italy that serves a wafer biscuit with a layer of nutella and one of foie gras – I love the way it confounds your expectations, and this is exactly the same. Great macattack!

6. Lisa McDonnell
    Lisa McDonnell says:

Jill, you are always the clever one… I adore the mushroom photos. I almost missed the macaron because it blended in so well. I bet these delicious and light little bites would pair well with a glass of champagne. Ils sont delicieux!

7. The Culinary Lens
    The Culinary Lens says:

These look so good. I am hearing good things around the web about your macaron methodology I have to check your book out.
    These remind me of the “mushroom” decorations I often mae for Yule Logs

8. Anne@frommysweetheart
    Anne@frommysweetheart says:

Jill…I am always so blown away by your unique and creative inspirations! These are just amazing! Your photography, as always, is just stunning! (And thanks for the reminder about sprinkling the shells before baking! These are just wonderful!

9. Joanna from Chic & Gorgeous Treats
    Joanna from Chic & Gorgeous Treats says:

I’m always inspired by your macarons Jill. Seems like it’s been awhile I popped by. You are indeed a macaron queen :D. I tried making my first batch of macarons that day, but toss them out.. will try again when I’m ready. Hehehe.. just need some focus and your blog helps me to stay mac focus. Hugs, Jo

10. thoma
    thoma says:

it stumps me every time i think of your macaron creativity….i think it stumps God too that the creation (you) who marched off His lap is tempting Him with sooooo many macarons hehe…

you’re stuffing your posts with French at vital points and i cannae understand!

11. Gina
    Gina says:

I guess I will have to pack scarves too! I love that shot with the mac on the mushroom, so cool. We don’t have a great selection of mushrooms in my local markets for some reason, I better go do some complaining. Hope you have a great week.
    -Gina-

12. Elyse @The Cultural Dish
    Elyse @The Cultural Dish says:

Wow those macarons sound delicious! I love the photo of the macaron as a mushroom cap… so cute! I have only been to Paris during the months of April, May, and June (due to school schedules that is what always worked best), but I really really want to go in the fall! It is my favorite season here in New England and sounds just as wonderful there.

Pff!! 😀 I got totally tricked! First picture I didn’t realize the macaron and you gave us another look of the photo, then I just smiled. You are soooo good Jill! Color is just perfect. It is fun to make all kinds of macarons but it must be very challenging to come up with a new idea. However you do it so easily… Can’t wait to see your next macaron!

Oh, your mushroom macarons are just PERFECT! For that reason, I still don’t consider you mad, just fun, creative with a touch of zany! But what really got my attention was the idea of a tatin-style macaron! Genius!!!

15. Cucina49
    Cucina49 says:

These look so good! The last time I was in Paris, I had some of the most fascinatingly flavored macarons at Pierre Herme–the one I remember was roasted red pepper and black peppercorns.

16. FreeSpiritEater
    FreeSpiritEater says:

These are absolutely stunning! I never would’ve thought to make mushroom truffle macarons. They sound like an incredible combination. Putting it on the mushroom was too cute! Thanks for sharing =]

17. Jamie
    Jamie says:

Wow I am blown away but I can so understand you being inspired by this, my favorite of seasons. I have made sweet-savory macs and am always intrigued by how the flavors blend. Your mushroom macs are incrdible! Thanks for the inspiration and always thrilled to have you bake along with Deeba and I at Mactweets!

18. Manu
    Manu says:

Noway! These are so cool Jill!!! What an amazing idea!!! I love mushrooms… and truffle??? YUM! I loved the picture of the macaron-mushroom!!! hehehe <3

19. Kim - Liv Life
    Kim - Liv Life says:

Love your photos, Jill! That one on the mushroom is absolutely adorable. We are starting to get a touch of fall here as well, though we never really had a warm summer. Your flavors are simply amazing, I would never be able to pair them all up like you do. Love it!