Roasted Figs in Marsala

Roasted Figs in Marsala with Giant Tiramisu Macarons

They can say what they like.

I do give a fig.

Fig. Season. Is. Far. Too. Short.

For some reason, I can only find the smallish sweet, purple “mission” variety at the local market.  If I want green ones, I have to steal them from the neighbour’s tree that trespasses on to the street. But bien sûr, I would never do that.  The other neighbours always get there before me.

I’m flinging figs in so many savoury dishes just now.  Following the touch of orange blossom in my Fig Tart Recipe, here’s another of my favourite quick fig desserts. It’s so gorgeously simple, it’s not even a recipe. The sauce ends up syrupy thick out of the oven, as long as you don’t put too much Marsala in there and add that knob of butter. Go on, spoil yourself.

Roasted Figs in Marsala

Did you know they have a high source of calcium as well as fibre?

If you’re serving these figs on their own, I recommend adding a touch of lavender since it’s in abundance in the garden just now. I had completely forgotten to cut them as they were flowering and so they have dried up but boy, their fragrance is like walking into a crowd-wrestling tourist shop in Provence, with mechanical crick-crick-crickets, herbes de Provence and lavender bags lining the walls.

Otherwise simply drizzle with Marsala and honey. They’re a real treat when accompanying Giant Coffee Macarons with Tiramisu Cream (see page 116 of the book).

giant tiramisu macarons with marsala figs

Roasted Figs in Marsala

Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Chilling Time: 30 minutes

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Halve some plump purple figs, place them cut-side up in a roasting tin.
  2. Drizzle with a few tbsps of sweet Marsala (or sweet sherry), some runny honey and a knob of butter.
  3. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.

Leave to cool before serving.

This can also be a more original partner with the cheese course before dessert (in France, dessert comes after the cheeseboard, unlike in the UK.)  Enjoy with a good roquefort or gorgonzola. In fact, just make it the cheese and dessert course in one. That way it keeps all guests happy!

If you didn’t pig out on the cheese course, then you could go that double whammy of ice cream and top with crushed amaretti if you have no macarons left – which was the case here one evening.

No macarons left? What a shocker!

To round up this week’s figgy posts, let me say un grand merci to Visda of Eat, Drink and Just Be!for nominating le blog of Mad About Macarons for an award. You have made my day, thank you!

With no macarons left – even in my freezer bank – it has been time to remedy this fast, especially as Jamie and Deeba have posted an interesting seasonal MacTweet macaron challenge. Don’t forget to pop in on Monday when I have a very different plate of macarons to share with you. Remember you can sign up for free to receive le blog directly to your email account so you never miss a post. Bon weekend!

1. Patricia Green
    Patricia Green says:

I too love figs and have a fig tree in the garden but it is too young to produce any yet. This looks lovely and simple so will try it, thank you.

Not sure I understand the bit in brackets Jill as here in Burgundy the cheeseboard comes before the dessert.

“This can also be a more original partner with the cheese course before dessert (in France, dessert comes before the cheeseboard, unlike in the UK.) “

Oh gosh, thank you so much for spotting the booboo, Patricia. I’ve changed it to “after” in brackets since, as you can see, I say it correctly before the brackets. Should have proof-read! Can’t believe nobody noticed this for a year!

Do you find it strange returning to the UK and returning to savoury after dessert? Even last week we had family over. They didn’t touch the cheese but after dessert, they finally got stuck in to baguette, chèvre and comté (nothing wrong perhaps but we’d already eaten strawberries and ice cream!) I can no longer can get my head around that! Much prefer the French way. Don’t you?

• Patricia Green
        Patricia Green says:

Yes, I agree entirly. I also now find it strange to have bread and sometimes even butter with the cheeseboard as in the UK. I have to say that I often skip cheese as part of a meal as I am a dessert person. After all, how can cheese compete with a wonderful macaron! Sometimes a little Epoisse may tempt me though but it has to be just right. I gather you are busy writing a new book, can’t wait to hear what it is about. Love your Mad about Macarons.

2. Jen
    Jen says:

I am a macaron junkie! I love that you have created so many interesting kinds of them! They are so pretty and each bite is a crispy, chewy bite of bliss.

3. Spice Sherpa
    Spice Sherpa says:

Waaa…wahhaa… (that’s me crying online). Fresh figs are such a rarity here in Upstate NY and that wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t for the fact that I. LOVE. FIGS. In Calif. I grew up with fig trees, found wild fig trees and devour them during the season. Maybe I’ll raid the public market, fork over the bucks for a flat and be done with it. Love your marsala recipe.

4. Choclette
    Choclette says:

And it was all sounding so healthy until giant macaroons came into the equation 😉

The figs looks divine even before you’ve roasted them to perfection. One of my favourite memories is plucking figs we found growing on a footpath in France and eating them there all warm and ripe from the sun – they never taste the same here.

Hi Vicki,
      The Editor has compiled a list of UK – US terms. They are now available under ‘Ask Jill’ and FAQ. Now you can also purchase custard powder directly with Amazon. I’ve now compiled a list of ingredients in ‘Boutique’. Hope this all helps!

You’ve got it, Carol. Throw a bit of butter on each fig and a good splashing of marsala and you’re in for a treat. Any extra sweet marsala? Shove it in a small glass and have a quick tasting while it’s in the oven… 🙂

5. Vicki Bensinger
    Vicki Bensinger says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Jill. My goal is to learn how to make these well and then teach Macaron making classes. Your book could be a great asset to my classes. I’m sure students would love to purchase it. I’m going to order it right now from Amazon!

Lovely to hear, Vicki. It’s got all the necessary steps in there and the objective is to show that it’s not as difficult as you think. Let’s face it, if I can do it…
      Would love to hear how you get on.

• Vicki Bensinger
        Vicki Bensinger says:

Don’t worry, if I have any issues I’ll be asking questions. I get the book tomorrow, so I may have to start working on it sooner. Anything I need to purchase out of the ordinary that I should start looking for now?

Do you grind your own almond meal or purchase it?

How nice to live in Paris?

Vicki,
          digital scales a must, piping bag, plain nozzle and nothing I’m sure you don’t have as a chef! You will also need a really good spatula – strong but flexible. Even better if you have a pastry scraper but no real need if your spatula is good. All equipment is also explained and shown but that’s really all you need in advance.
          I’m lucky that I don’t need to grind almond meal since I just buy them already ground in any of our supermarkets. I hear there are good online sources for almonds in the US such as the American Almonds Company (americanalmond.com), NutsOnline.com, EarthFare.com, TheFreshMarket.com. Hope this helps, Jill

• Vicki Bensinger
            Vicki Bensinger says:

Tartelette mentions that she grinds her own but I’m pretty sure whole food has some otherwise I can grind mine. Yes I have all the items you mentioned. I did watch your video this morning, your first tv gig I think it said. You were fantastic and made it look very easy. Once you get it down it looks lime it will be. Looking forward to whipping these out and giving as holiday gifts. Too bad I’m not going to Paris anytime soon otherwise I’d try and meet up with you.

I saw that you live in Versailles. My daughter and I visited and loved it. We stayed next to the American Embassy years ago. I don’t recall the name of the hotel but many diplomats stayed there. It was lovely.

You are a card, my friend…too bad the neighbors beat you to the green figs 🙂 But you’re working magic anyway…the roasted figs look amazing! As does everything in this post. Have a great weekend~

7. Vicki Bensinger
    Vicki Bensinger says:

Your figs sound mouthwatering and so simple. It’s the perfect and elegant ending to a delicious meal. I just purchased some and now can’t find them. I think my husband pitched them not knowing what they were.

I’m so glad to have found your blog and will definitely follow it. Next week I plan to embark on learning to make Macarons. I’m quite excited about it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I can’t wait to rummage through your blog to find various recipes for them. With Pierre Hermes Macaron on it’s way to my home I should be set to bake away.

I agree – fig season is WAY TOO SHORT!!!! I’ll have to roast them. I can’t wait to try this. Very simple and perfect for me. Haha stealing from neighbors! I always wish to have a fruit tree… Love the giant coffee macarons with spoon shape cocoa powder!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] more fig recipes? Try these quick and easy Roasted Figs in Marsala, also good with […]