That could be the title of a song we all know.  Can you just hear it?

Thank you for the macarons, for giving them to me...

Perhaps not.  I have no idea how to put up video clips so it’s just as well, really.  A friend on Facebook thought I looked like a raspberry macaron, for a start.

Last week I resumed teaching piano again.  Now my life is complete with music back in the house after the long holidays. Before we split at the end of last term, I was stunned by the most gorgeous card fashioned by my mad-about-piano pupils.  Is that not the sweetest card you could receive? What talent – I just get too emotional, blub-blub.

Artwork © by the talented Charlotte

I also received this most fun wee present: a macaron keyring.  It’s a permanent reminder not only of my wonderful students but that perhaps I belong to this mad macaron clan.

Speaking of presents, macarons tend to be a recurring theme.  The other day a good friend brought the latest macaron for me to taste from the Paris Pâtisserie, Pain de Sucre. Remember I went along with Adam from Paris Patisseries to watch them make macarons one morning?  Yes, that’s the place.

Did I make it in time for tea at quatre heures?

This friend is obviously a true friend: she walked around half of Paris – in this sweltering heat we’re having just now – with this rose, apricot and black sesame macaron in a paper bag.  I think you guessed it’s packaging, didn’t you?

Apart from the distinct papery taste, it was inspirational.  Not sure about the black sesame seeds, as they just caught in the teeth BUT the flavours were beautiful.  Inspiration, indeed to make them at home when you have the crushed, travelled version. ;-)

Next time I make rose macarons (see page 45 of the book), I’ll add some of these amazing little jelly squares from Nature Addicts.  In France, they’re all the rage at supermarket checkouts and the kids adore them.  I don’t know if they do apricot but they do an intense raspberry, which would be just right. In the UK, the equivalent is Fruit Stars, by the Fruit Factory.

During the holidays, I mentioned that I met up with Mardi of EatLiveTravelWrite for an afternoon of tasting pastries and tea.  What I didn’t tell you is that we popped in afterwards to the Chocolatier, Georges Larnicola Meilleur Ouvrier de France – in Paris.  Just check out one of his sculptures: a piano fashioned out of chocolate.  Don’t you just want to tinkle on the ivories – or rather, ivory chocolate?

Music made to melt the senses

Then the other day I popped in to Georges Larnicol yet again.  I wanted a peak at that chocolate piano.  It had disappeared.  In its place was a baby grand, filled with the most colourful macarons. Now there’s an idea…

What would my piano pupils think if I stuffed the inside of the instrument with macarons?

Perhaps they’ll just put it down to macaron madness.

Have a lovely macaron week!

Update: Apologies to all those who wanted to leave a comment and couldn’t.

We’ve had some crazy server problems so things have gone willy wonky.

Thanks so much for your patience!

1. June S
    June S says:

Yes, I can hear “Thank you for the Music”. It was a wonderful concert with a great ending. Wish I could hear you sing it again and they even made you sing it twice on the night! Looking forward to tasting more macs at the end of the month. Save some for mum.

2. Ramona
    Ramona says:

You really are the Queen of the macarons! I agree with Kim above that key chain is so very cute! Perfect for you. :) Thank you for supporting curry and comfort!! Have a wonderful weekend!! ~ Ramona

3. Lisa McDonnell
    Lisa McDonnell says:

I didn’t know you were a piano teacher as well!! I adore the card and key ring… your students obviously love you! The squished macaron made me laugh… oh the best intentions!

4. Vicki Bensinger
    Vicki Bensinger says:

How nice to be able to have a diversion from your regular routine and get back to the piano. That must be nice for you.

I love the macaron key ring. Once I get my macaron baking down I might get one too. I had my first attempt the other day and my mesh strainer was too fine. I need to find a medium mesh which isn’t easy. I spent forever trying to sift the almond flour until I gave up. Unfortunately everything else was prepped. Will try again this weekend.

I think your piano students would love to be rewarded with a piano filled with your macarons. How fun would that be?

Vicki, I do hope you find the medium sieve. I just used the one I normally have for draining rice, no fancy baking utensil. Fingers crossed you find it this weekend and then you’re ready to go! Excited for you. Bon weekend J xo

5. FreeSpiritEater
    FreeSpiritEater says:

This is the coolest looking piano I have ever seen! And it’s filled with such a gorgeous looking macarons, wow! Thank you for sharing this with us, the photos made me smile =]

6. Parsley Sage
    Parsley Sage says:

That card is just too precious! I think its great that your macaron loving ways are rubbing off on your music students as well. Come for the chords, stay for the treats :)

7. Jamie
    Jamie says:

There’s a Larnicol in my neighborhood and I love staring at the amazing colors of macs in the window. I have never eaten their macs but they sent us gorgeous little kouignettes for our last Plate to Page workshop and eaten warm from the oven they are fabulous! And I have never eaten the little fruit jellies though they tempt me every time I am in the supermarket. Next time, thanks to your advice, I will. And I love the keyring. Love it!

I need to try their kouignettes – they looked so temptingly wicked full of butter but I’m sure if we try it with a glass of wine it will cut the cholesterol…
      Cheers to Larnicol and his stunning designs. Next time you’re in Paris give me a macaron shout, ok?

8. Biren @ Roti n Rice
    Biren @ Roti n Rice says:

I don’t know why I’ve not looked at this section of your web until now…shish! ABBA was one of my favorite groups growing up but they never made it here in the US. Good thing I have them on CDs. I would love to hear you play the piano :) I could only tinker on the keyboard like a 5 year old. Thankfully, my youngest son is a lot better than I am. I have to show him this macaron filled piano.

I want to be your piano student. If I play very well, then you would treat me with one macaron… how about that. You can hide all the macarons in the piano to tempt me. Hmmm what a nice combination with music and delicious macarons. :-) Good luck with teaching! I wish I know how to play a piano. I’m tone deaf!

10. Ana Helena Campbell
    Ana Helena Campbell says:

Jill, I have two boys that love to play the piano. I love the sound of it. The pictures are so fantastic and the one with macarons inside of the piano…the best. What a beautiful card you showed us. I’ll bet you’re a great piano teacher and your students absolutely love you.Thanks for another great post!

11. Tina@flourtrader
    Tina@flourtrader says:

Lovely photos and the piano is just awesome. I am glad you have settled back in after the holidays. Being able to play the piano and make delicious macarons are great talents to have.

12. Visda
    Visda says:

Wow! Such gorgeous creations. Love that piano-macaron postcard the most but the grand piano is very impressing.:-) I used to teach piano as well and I can totally imagine the thrill you have now to be back to teaching. Congratulations and enjoy it.

13. Sue
    Sue says:

Ooh, chocolate and macarons, that piano wouldn’t last long in my house either! Looking at your post is giving me definite macaron withdrawal symptoms, I have none in the house again – definitely need a new place to hide them! I have never heard of black sesame seeds either but rose and apricot sounds a lovely combination.

My daughter has just started piano lessons again, back to sitting outside the room, but it does give me a chance to catch up with sewing or reading. That card from your piano students is fun and there’s a challenge for you – a macaron filling to resemble piano keys!

You know, I do regret not getting it but in our house it would either be attacked in a jiffy or melt! Perhaps better it stayed in the boutique so that others could have pleasure in oogling it. :-)