knitted tartlet with pom-pom cherry

Knitted Cakes and Felt Parisian Macarons

You heard me correctly. This may be Thanksgiving but I’m not talking cranberries. Let’s talk calm thoughts, wrap up in our winter woollies and get straight to cakes. You see, my creative, talented auntie knits cakes by the dozen. Deliciously bright and colourful, woolly cakes.

Auntie Shirley’s masterpieces have been seen in high-end jewellers’ boutiques in Edinburgh, local charity fares, and are in constant demand in certain Scottish castles. Now they’re making their appearance in the French court at Versailles. Well, nearly.

Knitted French teatime cakes

She used to knit us booties; then it was pom-pom hats; then dresses; then sweaters; then dolls. I distinctly remember Sweetie-Pie who adorned a sleeping face on one side – while the other side (covered with a bonnet) was hiding a smiling day face, all ready to be changed out of her pyjamas. It sure beat Barbie any day.

Then, noticing that my daughters were becoming more obsessed with food than dolls, she produced these sumptious cakes and sent them to Paris.

knitted tartlet with pom-pom cherry

I’m a vanilla tartlet with a pom-pom cherry

Fruit tartlets, marshmallows, swiss rolls, cherry cakes, and chocolate-chip cookies  – all whipped up using a couple of clicking knitting needles! There’s no need to worry about the children asking for more: they’re totally fat-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy free, and guilt free. My girls have created their own dreamy Paris Pâtisserie, selling their knitted confections using plastic euros. Go for it, kids. You sell them at a high price, just like Ladurée and Pierre Hermé’s luxurious macarons.

knitted jam swiss roll

Auntie Shirley’s latest oeuvre, however, was for myself. She took the plunge and produced macarons. These macarons are made out of wool felt.

wool felt French macarons

It felt funny (pun absolutely intended), passing them around at a recent family party since many had to do a double take – they were so realistic.

Auntie Shirley loves a challenge with knitting designs. She also knits Liquorice Allsorts – or as my talented friend, Carol Gillott points out – they’re Good & Plenty candies to my American friends …

good and plenty liquorice all sort knitted candies

I still can’t knit for sticky toffee. All I can remember is struggling as a youngster to do a Brownie badge: “in, over, through and out”. Most of the time, loops of wool would fall off the end of the knitting needle, as Mum and Auntie Shirley would try and save my holy scarves from wreck and ruin. That Dr. Who scarf somehow never happened. I do also love a challenge, though.  Remember these pink macarons for a MacTweet challenge?

good and plenty liquorice allsorts candy macarons

My kind of candy

liquorice all sorts pink candy macarons

Well, Auntie Shirley, I have finally made some ‘woollen pastries’ inspired by you to say thank you for all the knitted fun. Stay tuned on le blog for a bright and cheery festive afternoon tea with more woolly cakes. They’re not sugar-free, though, and they also contain some calories…

In the meantime, what about a Big Mac and french fries with absolutely no calories?

knitted big mac and fries with no calories

1. Kim - Liv Life
    Kim - Liv Life says:

Oh my goodness!!! Aunt Shirley is SO talented, To be honest when I clicked through FB I didn’t realize that they weren’t real, I thought the pic was a bit “fuzzy”, but now I see why it looks that way! Absolutely adorable! I’m going to pass this post on to my mom. She’s the knitter in the family, but we pretty much stick to scarves and “flat” things!
    Thanks for your wonderful comments Jill. We did indeed have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and we are doing it all again tomorrow! I’m in prep cooking mode once again today and tomorrows meal is bigger than the first one! It will be nice to have every one home. XO

2. Patty
    Patty says:

These knitted goodies and felt macarons are so cute-very fun to see thanks for sharing and congratulations on your top 9;-)
    Ps. Do you teach in a class how to make macarons?

Hi Patty,
      Yes – I do give the odd small macaron workshop but it’s at my home in the outskirts of Paris. I prefer keeping things simple! Let me know if you’re interested and we can organise no problem. J

3. Amalia
    Amalia says:

Wow, those macarons looks SO real! Everything looks so awesome, I especially love the last picture of the little burger and fries. This is so cute and fun! :)

Oh, those felted macarons are amazing! My mom could knit with her eyes closed…and I have just given up trying :) Your Good & Plenty macarons are perfection…as always~

5. Chef Dennis
    Chef Dennis says:

now we see that creativity runs in your family, Your aunt makes such beautiful little knitted pastries, while you my friend go for the gusto with your delicious macarons!

6. Anne@frommysweetheart
    Anne@frommysweetheart says:

Hello Jill! Thanks for your Thanksgiving well wishes and I hope you have a wonderful day! I love your pretty pink and black macarons….so lovely and reminiscent of the good and plenty candies of my past! Very nostalgic! Does your Aunt Shirley have a website? I would so love a couple of pink wooly cupcakes! She should be selling these if she already isn’t! Hope you and your family have a wonderful day!

Thanks, Anne. No, my Auntie doesn’t have a website – we have told her to sell them big time but she’s too shy. I think we need another chat!

7. Becky
    Becky says:

How “sweet” that your Auntie knits delicious treats for the eyes. She is very talented and the macrons almost look like the real thing. Looking forward to afternoon tea with you!

8. parisbreakfast
    parisbreakfast says:

WOW Those are Fabulous!
    Those are the BEST felt macarons I’ve seen yet and I’ve seen plenty.
    Your Auntie could have a heyday on Etsy selling those like hotcakes!!
    At least show some on Flickr – mouths will drool.
    Not to suggest your Good and Plenty (US name) candy macaron is not terrific by any means.
    I clearly has all the wrong aunts…
    Cheers cg

Happy Thanksgiving, Carol. Cheers to you and your wit and advice. Good & Plenty, eh? I never get the right keywords, do I? Did you hear that about Etsy, Auntie Shirley? I hope you’re reading…

I’m finally catching up with your sweet comments since so behind! Your award comes at an appropriate time: thank you so much for the Versatile Blogger, and for being such a lovely foodie friend, full of warmth and support. Happy Thanksgiving to you! J xo