smoked-salmon-apple-horseradish-beetroot

Beet-Horseradish Macarons with Apple and Salmon

Are you all enjoying the festive season? Still merry? Dead beet? In just a few days it will be out with the old and in with the new. Out with the Scottish piping bag! By that I’m referring to the Scottish bagpipes since we’re just back from a wonderfully cosy, family Christmas in Scotland and so now feeling rather patriotic. I wonder if my French neighbours would mind if I took up the bagpipes in 2012?

While the Scots celebrate ‘Hogmany’, on New Year’s Eve on 31 December, the French have a more formal dinner affair. It normally lasts all evening; in fact, there have been occasions when we’ve been so carried away at the table that midnight has struck as we’re tucking into the cheese board and just about missed it! And that’s long before dessert is even served. Last year, I just about fell asleep in the pudding from fatigue and the liquid refreshments, willing myself to continue into the early hours. Och, it’s not the age it’s the mileage, eh?

Feeling patriotic, Scottish smoked salmon is definitely on my menu for starters (or hors d’oeuvres.) My favourite is Salar Hot Smoked Salmon from the Outer Hebrides in North-West Scotland, but you can use any good quality wild smoked salmon – or in the photo, I used Smoked Salmon with 5 peppers from our local supermarket’s gourmet section (OK, it’s from Monoprix, but I’m just telling you where I shop since nobody ever approaches me for advertising, I never have freebies to post and so this is just simple old me. Voilà.)

We filled the suitcase with the Salar smoked precious stuff, hoping that Ryanair Staff wouldn’t take a liking to it and confiscate it at airport security. I was too worried about being blown back with the wind rather than anything else. Edinburgh was incredibly windy and I’m not just talking about the after-effects of the Christmas sprouts here. Don’t get me started on as-much-as-you-dare-with-Ryanair. ‘Haste ye back’ to the recipe!

One of the recipes that’s given on the back of the Salar smoked salmon pack is a simple apple and horseradish sauce to accompany it. The apple makes this sauce so deliciously light.  At first guests think it’s pure cream looking at the colour, but on tasting they dollop on more when they realise it’s mainly apple with half fat crème fraîche tossed in as an afterthought!  Serve a little on serving plates and provide extra sauce on the table.

For that extra special touch, this goes famously with a beetroot and horseradish macaron (see mini macs savoury macarons on p.103 of Mad About Macarons.)

Another party? I’m dead beet…

Horseradish and Apple Sauce for Hot Smoked Salmon

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Chilling Time: 30 minutes

1 tart apple (e.g. braeburn, granny smith)
1-2 tbsp cream of horseradish (according to taste)
juice of 1 lemon
handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
1 small 12cl carton low fat crème fraîche (15% fat)

1.  Grate the apple then quickly add the lemon juice so that it won’t turn brown.

2.  Mix in the other ingredients and season to taste.

Fiddling around in Picasa, I noticed I could make a collage!  Isn’t that pretty?  Not pretty, not awful just pretty awful. OK, I’m still learning. Great fun!  Coming on Friday – a simple, light but fancy French dessert to serve with your macarons for a New Year dinner menu.

1. Patty
    Patty says:

I’ve fallen asleep or wished I had(lol) at many a prolonged French lunch, the kind that starts around noon and ends at 5pm, time to go home and get ready for dinner that starts around 7 and ends after midnight..on and on in to the wee hours of the night, got to love those french party people!!!!!
    thank goodness for the dancing and singing, something to get the blood moving again!
    I love your very creative beet horseradish macarons and would love to try one. The colors are stunning and the horseradish apple sauce is making me hungry, also love it with the salmon, looks good in your collage.

2. Kim - Liv Life
    Kim - Liv Life says:

Happy Holidays, Jill!! I’m excited to read about your Parisian New Year as my neighbors are visiting your beautiful city now. They have been sending the most beautiful photos, though I haven’t received any for a few days. I know they have plans of dinner near the Eiffel tower and promise more photos of that special evening!
    So happy you had a wonderful holiday. Going home always warms the heart.
    With my mother being a horseradish fan, this recipe would be one she would really enjoy. I’ve got it printed and will have to see what I can do for her soon!!
    Happy New Year!!!
    PS… Love the collage!!!

3. Sissi
    Sissi says:

The sauce sounds fabulous, but the macarons must be extraordinary! I love both horseradish and beetroots, so I’m sure I would love both.
    Sadly, all the horseradish creams I find here are simply not hot at all and the fresh horseradish is so rare…
    I have just started to imagine your neighbours’ reaction if you played bagpipes 😉

Have to admit, I love this combo and like you, find the good, hot, horseradish creams difficult to come by. However, we’re lucky at the farmers’ markets here since they sell these odd-looking fresh horseradishes (raifort) which are imported from Germany!

4. Dima's Kitchen
    Dima's Kitchen says:

This is phenomenal! I never would have thought of beetroot and horseradish macarons!! You always delight my palate with your creations, I can just dream up the flavours of this awesome macaron against the smoked salmon! Sounds very delightful. I will be giving it a try and will let you know how it goes 🙂
    By the way, your pics are gorgeous, I could almost taste that salmon!

Carol, it’s all just in Picasa. Select your photos that you wish to place into the collage by pinning them with the pin button, then just hit the collage button above it (I didn’t notice it at first since it was so small but hover your mouse above it and it will tell you what it is.) Then you can choose how you want your collage to be presented. It just walks you through it! Hope this makes sense…

5. Choclette
    Choclette says:

Great post as always. You had me on the beetroot and horseradish macs. This is such a great combination, would love to try it in one of your macaroons. Glad you had a good Christmas and very much hope you have a good Hogmanay and manage to stay awake for dessert!

6. Parsley Sage
    Parsley Sage says:

Heh. You crack me up. ‘Dead-beet.’ That’s MY kind of humor!

Gorgeous salmon recipe, and my mind is a blowing up a little with the savory macaron pairing. I fear there would be massive overeating if I were there. But the, that’s what the holidays are for 🙂

7. Tina@flourtrader
    Tina@flourtrader says:

All of this comes together so well! I love smoked salmon and the sauce is a divine topper-yum! Also, it would not be the same without one of your signature macarons, great post Jill! I hope you are enjoying the holiday with family and friends.

Thanks, Tina. Yes, it was wonderful and all too short as already back at work and eldest sick but being together with close family and the ones you love is worth everything, eh? All the best for a fabulous year of baking ahead, Tina!

8. thoma
    thoma says:

such a wonderfully written post Jill. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you sista. isn this a wonderful season for the old and new and salmon stuffed suitcases at Ryanair ;p

keep well.

Oh, what a delicious starter, Jill! I imagine it’s even better is you get some of that fine Scottish salmon 🙂 I hope you had a very merry Christmas…and wishing you nothing but blessings in 2012!

10. Amy
    Amy says:

Beet horseradish macaroons are something I would love to try! I eat beets almost every day, and I cannot resist the kick of horseradish! The apple and salmon sound lovely as well, and were I not a vegetarian I would be all over them ;)! Hope you had a wonderful Holiday weekend Jill :)!

Nearly every day? Gosh, that takes some ‘beeting’, Amy! Hope you’re having a wonderful time, too. Now my daughter has a racking cough so plenty of TLC and spice needed!