Chestnut Vanilla Ice Cream

Baby it’s cold outside. I’ve been humming this song most of the week, although now we’re singing in the rain outside Paris. While singing, this Chestnut Vanilla ice cream has been churning for a light and easy dessert to finish off a big holiday menu.

chestnut vanilla ice cream

My youngest daughter is mad about chestnuts in all forms. If I mention this magic word, Lucie’s smile makes me melt quicker than the contents of this bowl. She’s obsessed about roasted chestnuts: either simply tossed along with pumpkin, bacon, or with green beans, or willing to sacrifice precious pocket money for an expensive poke at the exit of a Paris metro station.

She nibbles at luxury marrons glacés as if she was Charlie with a golden-ticketed chocolate bar, and pleads for marrons glacés macarons. She also craves the sweetened chestnut spread that is so common in France, by way of Clément Faugier. But I won’t ramble since that’s already covered in my blog post: Chestnuts! From Pancakes to Ice Cream to Macarons.

Then I realised that I hadn’t yet posted this recipe for chestnut vanilla ice cream. Mon Dieu!

When you’re as mad about macarons as I am (and I know I’m not alone on this one – come on, own up), you need to use up plenty of egg yolks while you’re ageing your whites for making them. Ice cream is one of my favourite egg yolk recipes, as it uses up 8 yolks in this easy, classic recipe. Ideally, it’s best to have an ice cream machine. I don’t have one, but use the ice cream attachment for my Kitchen Aid that still does the job well.  If you don’t have a machine, then just take the cream out of the freezer every 30 minutes (about 5 times) and mix up the partially frozen mixture well.

Chestnut vanilla ice cream with macarons

Chestnut Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe

Makes 1 litre

8 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
400ml whole milk
200ml whipping cream
1 vanilla pod
pinch of caramel powdered colouring (optional)
2 small 100g tins of sweetened chestnut purée
a handful of broken marrons glacés (or whole ones if you’re feeling posh)

1. Cream together the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.

2. Heat the milk and cream in a heavy-based pan with the vanilla pod, cut in two lengthways. Bring to the boil, and turn off the heat for the vanilla to infuse in the creamy milk for 5-10 minutes. Scrape out the seeds from the pod and add to the cream.

3. Pour the creamy milk onto the egg mixture whisking continuously. Return the mixture to the pan on a medium heat, whisking constantly until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove the vanilla pod and set the mixture aside to cool.

4. Once cool, place in the fridge for 1-2 hours before pouring into an ice cream maker to churn.

Serve with marrons glacés and macarons, but of course.

Which leads me to apologise to many friends for appearing as cold as ice cream when it comes to saying hello just now. Truth be told, I’m struggling to keep up with the normal Mum duties, plus a couple of extra projects. Do you find you can do nearly everything on your daily list, except there’s always at least one biggie that constantly nags at you? It’s feeling hard to please everyone. But hey, just trying to stay cool – and eat ice cream.

There are also a few upgrades currently underway on the website, since wouldn’t it be useful if you could actually do a search on the blog plus recipes and find stuff?  New pages are also coming. Bigger pics. Ouff! Lots to look forward to.

Until my next blether, macaronivores.

Bonne semaine!

chestnut vanilla ice cream recipe

1. Dima's Kitchen
    Dima's Kitchen says:

I am like your daughter when it comes to marrons glace! This recipe is outstanding and I can’t wait to try it.. you got my taste buds going, just by looking at it! YUM, thanks for the recipe 🙂

2. Kim Bee
    Kim Bee says:

Oh my dear Jill you know how much I adore ice cream. This is magnificent. I am always so scared to try mine with eggs. Don’t know why. I shall have to take this for a test spin. I love that your daughter is a budding foodie. Yeah!

3. Sandra's Easy Cooking
    Sandra's Easy Cooking says:

Chestnuts and Vanilla Ice-cream..you are genius! Love both very much, and together mmm…I would sing anything you want baby hehe, but it wouldn’t be pretty though:)))
    Have a lovely day Jill and enjoy!!!!

4. Anne@FromMySweetHeart
    Anne@FromMySweetHeart says:

Jill…not only am I mad about your macarons….but I love visiting your site to see what other sweet treats you concoct with your egg yolks! I, for one, can eat ice cream all year round. Especially when you use seasonal ingredients like your marvelous chestnuts! This looks so rich and creamy! And no need to make apologies….be a good mum first! Looking forward to your website upgrades! (Never enough hours in a day, no?!)

5. Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family
    Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family says:

That ice cream looks phenomenal.

Thank you to Lucie for prompting you to make and post this for the rest of us.

Oh and by the way. I received my copy of Mad About Macarons. I have drooled over all of the pictures, but my 2 year old daughter I think loves it the most.

I will venture in to actually making some once I can get the book back from her.

Here is to staying warm!!! Have a great day Jill.

6. Choc Chip Uru
    Choc Chip Uru says:

I love the combo of flavours – vanilla ice cream totally amped up! I bet you enjoyed this delight very much 😀
    Yum and I love your blog – glad to have found it!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Nutella Creme Brulee

7. Tina@flourtrader
    Tina@flourtrader says:

What a delicious flavor for ice cream! I am glad you posted this special recipe, for I have not seen it anywhere. I am saving this one, probably will not see anything like it again-yum!
    Sometimes life does call you away from blogging but the great thing is that it will always be there for when you have the opportunity. Hope you are enjoying the weekend!

8. Ivy
    Ivy says:

I love chestnuts but have never tried this flavour in an icecream. I have saved some chestnuts in the deep freezer and may be I will try it during the summer.

9. Lora
    Lora says:

This ice cream loks divine! I love chestnuts in all forms. glad to add another fabulous recipe to my “Using up all those leftover yolks from making macarons” file.

Jill, I hear you on the keeping caught up with other blogs…there is just not enough time in the day! Your ice cream looks amazing….Miss Lucie has exquisite taste buds 🙂 Thanks for sharing, my friend~

Liz, I don’t know how you do it! I’m always in awe how you manage it all so well. I’m sneaking on the computer here while supposed to be helping with homework!

11. Ann
    Ann says:

LOVE this recipe! The color of the ice-cream is stunning! I’m a big fan of the custard style ice-cream, too! Thanks and have a GREAT day!

12. themacaronqueen
    themacaronqueen says:

Jill, this looks so good! I’ve been having ice cream for dessert these few days ( I have no idea why considering its snowing out there) and this would be a fabulous idea; to sandwich it with macarons!

Funnily enough, macaron queen, I’ve done that before and I’m not the biggest fan of ice cream macs. Much prefer serving ice cream on top of one huge mac and dribbling hot fudgy caramel sauce on top…. you’ve given me an idea for dessert tonight, thanks. Have some left over chocolate-hazelnut ganache from yesterday’s macs…

13. Maureen
    Maureen says:

I need to master macarons because I have a freezer full of egg whites left over from ice cream. I mean how much meringue can a person eat?

I will try macarons again. I’m convinced I’m doing something silly but I haven’t figured it out yet. 🙂

I love chestnuts too. Your daughter and I would get along really well.

14. Vicki Bensinger
    Vicki Bensinger says:

I hate to admit this but I’m having a harder time now attending to everyone’s needs and working let alone finding time for myself. My kids are now 22 and 25 and I’m maxed out with things to do. I can so relate.

Your ice cream looks yummy. I on the other hand indulged in my first attempt at making Macarons. They were delicious but I think I needed to cook them a bit longer so the shell was very firm.

Hope you find time for yourself soon.

15. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen
    Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen says:

Mouthwatering post, Jill. Glad young Lucie inspired this post – this icecream looks sensational. I dropped my icecream maker 🙁 so I will have to try the freeze n stir method but the way I look at it, having to whisk the icecream burns up lots of calories so I can justify having a second helping 😉

16. Nami | Just One Cookboo
    Nami | Just One Cookboo says:

Me too, I love anything chestnuts! This ice cream is so special as we can’t find this flavor anywhere around here! Thanks for the recipe. If you live near me, I would give egg whites so you can make extra macarons (for me too teehee). Beautiful plate of desserts!

17. Amy
    Amy says:

Wow! Jill, I agree that this is a great way to use up egg yolks, it looks and sounds amazing! Sadly I have yet to try chestnuts like this but I would love to! Have a wonderful weekend :)!

18. Claudia
    Claudia says:

Oh my – this is sort of a winter ice cream (it’s very cold here) but that chestnut just warms it all up. What a beauty. Your daughter is very smart!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] some fresh raspberries or slices of mango.  They’re also delicious served with homemade chestnut and vanilla ice cream or salted caramel […]

2. […] be a refreshing end to any festive meal.  My favourite at this time of year has to be the vanilla and chestnut ice cream, served with vanilla macarons or coffee […]

3. […] Talking of bliss, have you tried them with this candied chestnut or marron glacé & vanilla ice cream? […]