Peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies recipe

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

It’s already the second week of the mid-term school winter holidays. The children have had a ball with sleep-overs, ‘hanging out’ chez les amis (‘playing’ is now banned from our vocabulary.) On return from their friends’ homes, they described what they had for dinner and, top of the list, what was for goûter at 4pm official French snack time. They raved about their friends’ homemade cookies. You know, Mum, they made the most incredible cookies; they made them all by themselves; these cookies were the most incredible biscuits we’ve ever had: they put chocolate chips in them, M&Ms, marshmallows…

I’ve never been interested in cookies but this echoed, and echoed:
“Mum, can we ever get to make cookies one day?”

What?! I could feel myself standing to my full height. After all the choux buns, éclairs, financiers, chocolate fondants, pancakes, crêpes – oh, and years of macarons – they’ve never actually made homemade cookies? What kind of a mum is that? Wait a minute, we have melting moments together, don’t we? Yes, but they don’t include chocolate chips.

When I mentioned the friends’ cookies, my Mum burst into hysterics. Apparently, I’m Granny’s double: Mum used to come home from a friend’s house, also raving about what she’d eaten there and my Granny would throw a wobbly. Nobody could be better than my proud, Scottish Granny. What? She served you tinned mandarines and you think that’s better than what you get here? I didn’t even realise that I demonstrated the same. Exactly the same. Thanks, Mum.

You want cookies like your friends? I’ll give you cookies.

Peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies recipe

To make it up to them, I needed inspiration from my blogging friends for cookies that used peanut butter. You see, Julie has just discovered peanut butter and her world is going nutty. Can you imagine, only now? Let’s get something straight: peanut butter is not something the French keep in their store cupboards. I hear you: I’m a Scot – but I’m more French these days for better or for worse.

I found many super peanut butter recipes from Tina of Flourtrader (including salted pretzels), from Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake (she revealed she’s giving up eating raw cookie dough for Lent), a secret recipe club cookie from Danielle at A Day in the Life via Manu’s Menu, and another recipe at Sweets by Sillianah (which includes jam hearts.) My problem (one of them, ahem..) is that so many recipes deal in cups; I prefer grams and, as we didn’t have time with the heart part, had no pretzels and not enough chocolate chips, we wildly adapted a mix of the recipes and came up with this.

The girls did a great job. The texture wasn’t too soft or crispy either, even though I thought the portion of flour looked too little and although we could have upped the peanut butter, I prefer how it’s subtle and gives enough crunch and saltiness. We didn’t use the electric mixer: the children wanted a hands-on approach, using good old elbow grease as holiday sport! We’re making these again: they’re melt-in-the-mouth, not too sweet, have an appealing saltiness to them, and they’re addictive. Where have I heard that before?

Another stacking game. Mum, can you stop playing so we can eat them now?

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes approx 30 cookies

125g unsalted butter, softened
70g light brown sugar
50g white sugar
1 egg
100g crunchy peanut butter
good pinch salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
115g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
75g dark chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a couple of baking sheets with baking parchment.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with a good spatula until the sugar has disappeared and the mix is pale and creamy. Gradually add in the rest of the ingredients, mixing well. (The dough can be frozen at this point if you don’t use all of it.)

3. Spoon out small portions of the mixture on the baking sheets, leaving a good gap in between each as they spread out. Flatten them slightly with a fork and bake for 10 minutes until golden.

4. When cooled, transfer the cookies to a wire rack then devour.

We didn’t drink the milk but had Champomy instead 😉

Are you like my Granny? Please don’t tell me I’m alone. Besides, if it wasn’t for that attitude, I would never have tried my hands at making macarons. Just saying.

1. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen
    Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen says:

Hahaha! My mother used to slave over a hot oven making all sorts of wonderful desserts for us as kids and we’d crave shop-bought pineapple layer cake (bleaugh!)

I have to say, I share your children’s weakness for peanut butter and chocolate chips – these are on the baking schedule next week. Great pics too, Jill. Hx

2. Cucina49
    Cucina49 says:

It’s so funny that your children want cookies when they’ve had choux buns and other fancy French pastries–as a child, I was just the opposite! These cookies look perfect, tender in the middle and crunchy around the edges.

Can totally hear you! I think it had something to do with the 60s generation…well that’s what I’m blaming it on, anyway 😉

3. Janet Ledger McCord
    Janet Ledger McCord says:

I see you’re in France but just in case you were wondering or are back in the UK my husband has been able to find me pretzels in Lidl. Do you have Lidl in France? I’m an American living in Scotland so I’m just the opposite, I prefer my recipes in cups! I grew up with peanut butter cookies and I have trouble finding chocolate chips here too. I was surprised that friends and family here were just getting into peanut butter. My granny had the “magic refrigerator”. No matter what time of day or when you stopped by she would start pulling out food and pretty soon the table was groaning. She always baked something, too, every day because Grandpa liked his desserts. Enjoyed the recipe! Janet

I like the sound of your granny’s refrigerator. I have vivid memories of my granny’s larder – a huge walk-in Aladdin’s cupboard in her kitchen. She used to tell us to go and get something in the ‘scullery’. Thanks for reminding me! Yes, we have Lidl in France, Janet.

4. FreeSpiritEater
    FreeSpiritEater says:

I’m not a huge peanut butter fan, but when it’s combined with chocolate in a cookie like this, I can’t help but fantasize about it.. Those photos are creating some serious cravings lol Congratulations on Top 9 Jill!! Well done! Sending you lots of air hugs and kisses <3

You are a FABULOUS Mum!!! I know the girls were thrilled with these wonderful cookies…and how I giggled at the comments from both your daughters and your own mum…priceless 🙂 And thanks so much for the mention, my friend…along with a big congratulations for the Top 9 today! Hooray~

PS…my oldest(25 y/o)sent me a text with a link to a cookie recipe yesterday…LOL. You’ll be getting requests for many years to come!

6. Becky
    Becky says:

Your cookies are gorgeous, and delish! I’m sure that your kids had a ball making these. I grew up on these cookies, and so did my kids. Baking with kids is so much fun.

Congrats on the Top 9 today!

7. Ann
    Ann says:

I have recently discovered the joy of chocolate chips in peanut butter cookies…I honestly don’t know why I didn’t know about this before, but life has been a wee bit happier since!

8. Lillian
    Lillian says:

That’s so funny your kids wanted plain ol’ peanut butter cookies – I’d much prefer your macarons and choux! =P These look great – pb & chocolate is the perfect combo.

Thanks for the mention – next time, you can try it with the jam. 😉

9. Amrita
    Amrita says:

Good old elbow grease is perfect for when you’ve got your kids helping you, makes them feel like they really worked hard on them 😉 And it’s interesting how we inherit qualities from our mums/dads/grandmoms/grandpas. Only when someone points them out do we realize who we’re turning into 🙂 And I actually love that. Because I see myself becoming more like my mom and grandmom, in certain instances.

10. Juliana
    Juliana says:

Jill, these peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips look great, and reading your description just make me want to try one…salty and slightly crunchy…
    Such a fun time in the kitchen with the kids…hope you are having a wonderful week 🙂

11. parisbreakfast
    parisbreakfast says:

AH HA!
    You will have to read ‘French Children Do Not Throw Food’ (the Brit title of ‘Bringing Up Bebe’)
    You can browse it at WHSmith.
    French children bake EVERY weekend according to Druckerman.
    AND they are not allowed to eat the raw dough or eat any of their baking UNTIL it is Gouter time(4:30PM).
    That way they learn independence, patience and how to deal with frustration.
    I am currently looking for French adoptive parents since I have none of those sparkling qualities.
    So let the baking begin!
    voila xxcarolg

Aha. Am I turning French? Too funny. Do they say anything about bringing up your children to respect the 24-hour waiting line for macarons to mature to perfection? 😉
      Mine don’t bake every weekend, tisk, tisk. They’re always too busy with other activities so it’s a holiday sport.

Making cookies must be a piece of cake for you compared to choux buns, éclairs, financiers, chocolate fondants, pancakes, crêpes! =D Sometimes all kids want is something different once in a while. Your cookies look really delicious Jill! I love how you made the tall tower!

13. Amy @ FragrantVanillaCake
    Amy @ FragrantVanillaCake says:

Delicious looking cookies Jill! Funny that your kids beg for them though, I would LOVE all the stuff you are always making ;)! Peanut butter and chocolate are such a heavenly combination, I bet your kids ate them up in no time :)!

14. Janet@FCTC
    Janet@FCTC says:

Hmmm, I don’t even like peanut butter cookies but this sounds great, Jill! I have some crunchy peanut butter that my boys have decided they don’t like, so I know what to use it in now 🙂

15. Vicki Bensinger
    Vicki Bensinger says:

Ooh there’s nothing like having a Reese’s in the form of a cookie. These sound delicious. I bet they’d taste sensational dipping 1/2 the cookie in melted chocolate then left to harden. Yum.

Sounds like you’ll be taking up more than just macaron baking for a bit. Baking with my kids was always theist fun. Enjoy it while you can. Mine are now 22 and 26.

Don’t the kids grow up so fast? Great idea on dipping them half in chocolate. I’ve done it with macs but why didn’t I think of that for a cookie? Cheers, Vicki.

16. Tina@flourtrader
    Tina@flourtrader says:

Classic flavors in one cookie-yum!These are a great one for the cookie jar. Your teamwork really turned out a tasty looking cookie too. Also, sounds like you and the kids had a fun afternoon in the kitchen.
    Thanks for the mention here also, sweet friend. Happy Monday!

17. Claudia
    Claudia says:

Oh my those look perfect! If you’re going to do chocolate chips (and I don’t mind) do them right! Love the segue from “playing” to “hanging out.” Growing up – but you don’t leave chocolate chips behind.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] get started.  You see, Mum doesn’t normally make cookies, really.  The last time were these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies but that was […]