White Chocolate Mousse with a Valentine’s Touch

How often have you heard of perfectly competent cooks and bakers saying that they’re too scared to attempt making macarons? Have they got cold feet or something?

Cold feet? Macaron feet, happy feet and a warm heart

When they do finally attempt making them, I love how so many of them post excited messages on the Facebook page. You know the one that appears the most? “My macarons have feet!” You’ve no idea how much I want to dance too, knowing that some of that feel-good-macaron-feet pleasure has been spread.

It may be chilly with sub-zero temperatures outside Paris, but this warms the heart no end. This week some of you asked how to pipe out macaron hearts. It’s easy peasy. Just imagine you’re making a ‘V’ shape in 2 lines. Do it quite quickly: push down a bit more mixture at first at the top of each line and taper off coming down.  As the mixture spreads out slightly on the baking sheet you’ll see it come together.

How to make macaron hearts

Instead of filling the macaron hearts, they’re also handy as a garnish for desserts.

For a romantic dessert, try this Hermé-style simplistic version of rose mascarpone cream served on a giant rose macaron and topped with fragrant raspberries (recipe on p.109 in the book.) There’s only one problem: many of you are lucky enough to have red fruits in season just now but here there are no blooming raspberries around due to these Siberian winds – or at least worth buying them at an extraordinary cost and with no flavour. So I attempted something different.

raspberry rose macaron dessert

With the snow initially as inspiration, I remembered the Merveilleux pâtisserie from Un Dimanche à Paris with Mardi of EatLiveTravelWrite. It was basically a meringue coated with cream, infused with rose and orange flower water (although I didn’t really taste it enough), and rolled in white chocolate. Although I’m not the biggest fan of white chocolate, I chose it because it didn’t just look pretty but it was also deliciously light. Besides, I adore rose and orange blossom.

So with all this in mind, I’ve come up with a light, fragrant, snowy mousse for you that’s not too sweet: it’s a quick and easy gluten free dessert.

What is it about rose that makes it so Valentine friendly?  I adore this addition of the orange blossom. Heating the white chocolate in the pan with a little of the cream makes melting it so much easier – especially if you’re unsure of the quality of your chocolate. The meringue crunch comes from the macaron heart and the dosage of orange blossom and rose counteracts the sweetness of the chocolate and is just enough to send your Valentine into a billowy, romantic cloud. Accompany this with glass of chilled Muscat.

white chocolate mousse

White Chocolate Mousse with Rose and Orange Blossom

Serves 4 big glasses or 8 mini portions

Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Chilling Time: At least 20 minutes

300ml whipping cream
120g white chocolate (+ 20g grated for decoration)
1 tbsp rose water
1/2 tbsp orange flower water
1 egg white

1. Place a mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes (I just put it outside – brrr!)

2. Meanwhile, break 120g of the white chocolate into a saucepan and heat very  gently together with 50ml of the cream, rose and orange flower waters. As soon as it’s melted (after about 5 minutes), set aside to cool slightly.

2. Using an electric beater, whisk the rest of the cream with the egg white to medium-firm peaks. Gradually pour in the melted chocolate mixture and continue whisking until completely mixed together.

3. Pour into individual serving glasses and sprinkle on the grated white chocolate. Set aside in the fridge until needed.

Halve the quantities if you’re serving just for a romantic couple but this does keep easily until the next day in the fridge.

You could also serve this with macarons; if you don’t have cold feet!

white chocolate mousse

Update: I’m so thrilled to see my recipe tried, tested and approved by Gourmantine’s Blog in her marathon to find the best chocolate mousse:

Well, I think anyone thinking this way should be sent a pot of this white chocolate treat by wonderful Jill Colonna, and I am most certain they will have an epiphany.

When I first saw this recipe posted on her fabulous blog “Mad about Macarons” (and I tell you, her macarons are truly to die for..), I couldn’t wait to make it, and chocolate mousse marathon seemed more than appropriate for it.

To be honest, the dark chocolate loving judge panel put the final fight for the best of the best title between recipes essentially out of dark chocolate, but this wonder was considered a champion in it’s own category and does deserve a special mention…Just for the record, it tastes better than it looks…this one is definitely going to the top of my all time favorites.”

1. Gourmantine
    Gourmantine says:

I’ve made this chocolate mousse for the choc mousse marathon we’ve had this weekend and it was nothing short of incredible! Rose and orange blossom water go with white chocolate perfectly and make a very special treat!!!

Thanks so much, Gourmantine. So glad you liked it. When I first imagined it in my head and then put it into this dessert I wasn’t sure how it would turn out so am so pleased to share it. It’s my kind of dessert: light, airy and not too sweet. That way you can have more 😉

2. Becky
    Becky says:

Jill,
    This is such an elegant, romantic dessert for two. The White Chocolate mousse, looks so light, fluffy, and decadent. The dessert would go well with the bubbles:) Happy valentine’s Day!

Funny – this is one of the recipes in the next book, although it’s presented rather differently. It’s taking me forever on it, though!

3. Vicki Bensinger
    Vicki Bensinger says:

Believe it or not Valentine Macarons were going to be my second go at making them altogether. I was hoping to pop these out today or tomorrow. Now that I have the perfect guide I’ll be sure to get them right.

Your hearts look absolutely perfect and lovely. I can’t wait to try these. Thank you for sharing them.

Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your honey a couple days early!

4. Claudia
    Claudia says:

I’m not always a fan of white chocolate – but with this rose water and orange blossom water – I can imagine a lightness of being. And it is so gosh-darn pretty, Jill – just so Valentine’s Day lovely. (Yes, I’m afraid of macarons – I am more comfortable with meatballs – what can I say?)

5. Amalia
    Amalia says:

Wow those macaron hearts look so beautiful! And the white chocolate Mousse looks gorgeous as well! The combination of those two is perfect, especially for Valentine’s day! I’ll be making macarons from your book very soon, I can’t wait to give macarons a try again after my first failed attempt, haha 🙂 Hope you have a wonderful day!

6. Marsha @ The Harried Cook
    Marsha @ The Harried Cook says:

Wow! Those macaron hearts are perfect! You are brilliant… and the mousse sounds so yummy, Jill! I remember doing the ‘my macarons have feet dance’ months ago when I first made macarons! You’ve reminded me, and now I can’t wait to try making them again 🙂 Fabulous post!

7. Juliana
    Juliana says:

Oh! I still yet to try to bake macarons…still too chicken 🙂
    Like the heart shape and perfectly paired with the white chocolate mousse…so elegant for Valentine’s Day.
    Hope you are having a fantastic week Jill!

8. Cucina49
    Cucina49 says:

I am one of those fearful bakers, which is why I love your site. Those hearts are swoon-worthy–I don’t have any problems with the marscapone cream, but fear the hearts would not look this good.

And so what if a heart or 2 are not quite right? There are no macaron police out there. The point is, it can be done, we can have fun with them and above all the taste is divine. So, if it’s not quite right it doesn’t matter. Fear not, Cucina!

LOL! “perfectly competent cooks” are scared to try macarons…. are you talking about me? Not that I’m saying I’m a “perfectly competent” cook but I know you are talking about me! Teehee. I love eating macarons though… And seeing how delicate they are I’m very intimidated! I absolutely love your heart shaped pink macarons! I didn’t know how you make the heart shape. That’s interesting. Your white chocolate mousse sounds perfect with these macarons. Happy Valentine’s Day Jill!

See? That upsets me to hear you’re intimidated by these little things. Go for it, Nami! If I can do it… Sure they’re delicate and I broke one but I wasn’t sure about posting a photo with a broken heart. Perhaps next week when hubby is away …

10. Jamie
    Jamie says:

I really don’t like white chocolate either but this does look so perfect and romantic! And the hearts are so beautiful! I am going to try this next time I make macs! Perfect!

Hey, that was me this summer! And now I need to make your beautiful hearts so I can proclaim another victory! Thanks for sharing the technique, my friend 🙂

That was me also a few years ago. We can all see it in ourselves, can’t we Liz? Once we’ve got over the initial confidence hurdle we can achieve it no problem!

Even I like it and I’m not a huge fan of white choc. Didn’t put that much in it, but just enough for the velvety texture. I’m hooked!

12. Amrita
    Amrita says:

I know that excited feeling about ‘feet’ because I did that happy dance when I finally got perfect ‘feet’ too! Btw, I love that first pic of the footprints in snow, I first thought that was white sand. Hah! That white chocolate mousse sounds so divine with the touch of rose and orange flower! Beautiful!

13. Kim Bee
    Kim Bee says:

Jill this is adorable. I would have never thought to use them like that. Love the mousse. I really need to get your book, attempt making macarons and leave you a facebook message. Let’s hope for beginners luck.

14. Tina@flourtrader
    Tina@flourtrader says:

Well this does surprise me! Making a macaron into a heart shape I imagine is not an easy task-however since you are so skilled at making macarons this was a breeze. Also, putting one of these hearts with a creamy white chocolate mousse is perfect. You really have some amazing photos of your creations here. I love the third picture!

Thanks so much, Tina. But you’ll find it a breeze too! Thanks for the compliments on the photos. 3rd one is in the book. The others? One has just been declined by Kitchen Artistry, boohoo. Off to eat worms for dinner.

15. FreeSpiritEater
    FreeSpiritEater says:

Wow! This is gorgeous Jill! I remember seeing the first step of the macaron heart on FB and wondering where it will go from there, the finished result is simply stunning! Any Valentine would be lucky to receive such a lovely surprise. Thanks for sharing Jill, hope you have a beautiful day =]

Trackbacks & Pingbacks