wedding-macarons

Joining Together in Mac-rimony plus a Crème Caramel in a Cheesebox?

It’s already one week later and I’m still recovering. Is it the age or the mileage, perhaps? Or both?

This was no ordinary weekend. Not only was it decision time for the French to elect their President, but we also witnessed no ordinary Scottish wedding. It was my brother’s extra special day; I’m a proud sister, bowled over to gain such a precious sister-in-law and a beautiful family. My eldest daughter squeezed me tightly as I placed the lid on this box of mini macs just before leaving the house. “Mum, no wonder these are the cutest macarons you’ve made: you poured so much love into them…” That was the first lump that formed in my throat. I always become emotional at weddings and so that was a last-minute reminder to pack the extra tissues.

The happy couple asked me to make some mini curry macarons for the drinks. With some extra batter, I piped out couples stuck together (Tip: normally you shouldn’t pipe out your batter too close to each other, as they do spread on the baking sheet) and wrote on them using edible food colouring pens.

Joining together in mac-rimony

This time the fragile macs made it through Beauvais airport’s security belt in one go and the box remained upright.  Just as we sailed smilingly through to the other side, Antoine informed me that he couldn’t find a parking place at the airport. He had parked the car ‘somewhere outside’. Trop tard. There wasn’t much we could do. Either we could laugh about it or cry. I didn’t expect to use the tissues so soon, thinking of the Gendarmes clamping the car with a fine as we boarded.

The bellowing bagpipes in Edinburgh’s Royal Mile made us all feel smiles better. With a nippy easterly wind opposite Parliament Square, we gazed at the bagpiper clad in short sleeves and kilt, wondering if he was wearing his tartan the traditional way: feeling the drafty winds from the south, as it were. Braveheart, indeed. Needless to say there is a distinct lack of photographs here. In between hugging and joyful tears, Antoine and I fondly remembered our own wedding across the road nearly 15 years ago. The only differences? The sun was shining and the bagpiper had changed. So had we, but we could have done the wedding thing all over again. I wonder if Antoine would still arrive in an Irn-Bru taxi?

Made from girders… my daughters’ new Scottish tipple

Flying back next day, we were lucky to make it in time for Antoine to vote. Before François Hollande was even elected, some humourists were out and about in Paris. View of the rue de l’ancienne comédie: Impasse de Sarkozy.

A dose of French humour…

Turning the corner into Boulevard St Germain, wacky chocolatier Patrick Roger also showed off his wit in the boutique’s window: a chocolate die picturing Hollande and Sarkozy.

The jokes were flying around on Facebook and on TV. Antoine was particularly in hysterics with a picture of a round, empty box of Président camembert cheese filled with a ‘Flamby’ (a commercial crème caramel.) Hollande’s endearing nickname of Flamby is due to his wobbly ideas, apparently. My personal preference was “vote Hollande if you want a Pays Bas” (Pays Bas to non-French speakers is another word for the country, Holland.) Ah, the French and their politics.  I’ve never taken to politics but when you live in France, you have to have some sort of clue what’s going on: it’s a passionate topic that always finds itself around a French table with friends or family.

Time will tell with President Hollande. From this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health…until 2017? I wonder if I should make some caramel Flamby macarons in his honour – or does that sound a bit cheesy?

1. Marsha @ The Harried Cook
    Marsha @ The Harried Cook says:

Congrats to your brother! The macs look so good… Your brother is blessed to have such a talented, sweet and beautiful sister 🙂 I wish I could have ordered a batch from you when I got married all those centuries ago…

2. Jacqueline@HowtobeaGourmand
    Jacqueline@HowtobeaGourmand says:

What an original idea for your brother’s wedding. A great memory of the day!
    I know what you mean about French politics as my other half is French we talk about it quite a lot (il n’y a pas de choix!) I was stunned when there was an 80% turnout – that’s practically unheard of!
    That’s a lovely photo of Parliament Square. Sounds like you had a lovely time 🙂

3. thoma
    thoma says:

Brilliant post! Family, politics and the macaron connect..truly a French Connection! Loved your humor in this Jill, and your tears too!

4. Laura
    Laura says:

Those mini macarons are so cute, great idea to make some joined together too. I love the post title too – I’m all for macaron puns. I haven’t tried savoury macarons yet. Have you ever made them with an Irn bru filling?

Irn Bru? I haven’t Laura. It’s difficult to find in France and I’m not even a big bright orange sugary fizzy fan. As for the savoury macs, go on – you know you want to – give them a go! You would do some wonderful things, for sure!

• Louise
      Louise says:

Have a shot at the savoury macs – I made my first batch of Bloody Mary Macarons at the weekend. What a great idea, and what a kick with all that tabasco.

5. Purabi Naha
    Purabi Naha says:

Jill, congrats to your brother… and I loved those quotes on those joined macarones….what a lovely concept! You have the best macaroons ever and I really get astonished by the variety you have here. Incredible!

Oh, gosh, big congratulations to your dear brother! What fun for your family! The creme caramel macs are right up my alley…so, so yummy! I will be in Paris in 3 weeks…for only 3 nights. I need to email you for a few not to miss family friendly spots to dine. And I hope you’ll be going through a hot dry spell by then 🙂 xo

Mother’s Day? But it hasn’t happened yet in France. This is all so confusing – we already celebrated the UK one in March. Hey, I should cash in on this one, eh?

7. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen
    Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen says:

Jill, what a lovely day. Your daughter is right, you have outdone yourself with these sweet “I do!” macarons – they are adorable and I can see the orders flooding in for these!

The best of luck to your brother and your new belle soeur. I wish them a long and happy life together.

I love the French humour – I didn’t know Hollande was called Flamby and I am going to have to get my hands on that Camenbert photo to send to my brother in Montpellier.

Hope you are having a lovely relaxing weekend (and that your car was ok when you got back!)
    Hx

8. Mum
    Mum says:

Wonderful account of a wonderful wedding day – the sun even shone on the bride. How you managed to get those Macs through a Ryanair queue and security with not one broken beats us. Champagne and macarons – yum – life’s good eh? But what about lunch on the boat? Hope there’s going to be a sequel to this blog. How I wish I had had more children.

9. Lisa @ tartedujour.com
    Lisa @ tartedujour.com says:

Jill, I adored your story and loved the little sayings that you wrote on the macrons! What a special gift to give the newly betrothed couple. I’m not usually big into politics either but I’ve been listening to France’s elections with great interest. I wish you all in dear France the best!! I hope your new leader will be wonderful! Vive la France!

10. Sandra's Easy Cooking
    Sandra's Easy Cooking says:

Your bother is very lucky and his now wife to have you making those lovely macarons for them!By the way, Congrats! Now those look so good, but you are a pro..so I am sure they tasted heavenly too!
    Now take a rest because you totally deserve it!

11. Gina
    Gina says:

This was so adorable, I love those couple ones. I have to get back to baking, it’s been so crazy here. Congrats to your brother and his new wife.
    -Gina-

12. parisbreakfast
    parisbreakfast says:

who wouldn’t be worn out with all the running around from country to country,checking passports, checking head counts, pointing out the exits etc.
    Adorb lill macaronies for your lucky bro.
    Would LOVE to see some pics from YOUR wedding..hint hint nudge nudge
    Gawd whatever did you serve?
    Pre-macaron days.

Pre macaron days? Heaven knows. Cake? Although I never eat cake. Who’d want to see our pics? Heavens, I’ve a pic as bride being held up by all the kilts at the wedding but hubby wasn’t wearing one so he isn’t even in the wedding photo!

13. Ivy
    Ivy says:

Congratulations to the newly weds. Laughed reading about your ‘dirty’ thoughts of the bagpiper wearing the kilt the traditional way and the weather being windy…

14. Tina@flourtrader
    Tina@flourtrader says:

This was an awesome post Jill! I am sure that it was a lovely wedding and your mini macs were probably the most unique item at the reception. The writing was such a genius idea as well as a wonderful gift. Congrats to your brother!

Congratulations to your brother and your family! Your daughter is so sweet saying “your pour so much love into them”. Great job making mini curry macarons. I’m sure they were very popular and your brother will remember this forever. And wow seeing the place you had a wedding at must have made you a bit emotional. 🙂

16. Vicki Bensinger
    Vicki Bensinger says:

What a wonderful sister you are to make all these Macarons and to have each macaron married to each other so to speak. You are so creative! Congrats to your brother and to your loverly Macarons.

17. Mirelys
    Mirelys says:

WOW you were not kidding! they are tiny macs! and sounds like you had a lot fund and it was a lovely wedding!

Mirelys, would I kid you all around when it comes to macs? Seriously. These were definitely the smallest ones I’ve every made.

18. Cucina49
    Cucina49 says:

That sounds like such an amazing wedding! Congratulations to your family–and those macarons are such a gorgeous gift to them. I’ve been following the French elections, and what an interesting time it is to live there.

19. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious
    Gerry @ Foodness Gracious says:

This post gave me goose bumps…maybe it was seeing my favorite vodka accompaniment the wondrous Irn Bru! I love the idea of writing on the macs, first I’ve seen that but such a cool idea if one can write as neat as you. Might not look so good with my chicken scratching’s. That piper better have been playing traditionally, just sayin’

Take care 🙂

Irn bru and vodka, Gerry? That sounds such a bright orange heady concoction and enough to give any man the courage to wear a kilt the traditional way!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] I urge you to give them a go. Mini curry macarons are great for something completely different at parties and weddings. The intriguing macaron sweetness (I add a bit curry powder to the shells) and the Indian heat of […]