The Heat is on: Pistachio, Vanilla and Wasabi Ice Cream

Are you feeling the heat? You’re lucky. Mid July in Paris and we’re thinking of putting the heating on indoors as we watch the torrential rain. At least there’s no need to worry about sunburn and slapping on the sunscreen. On the other hand, I’m seeing poor friends having to deal with soaring, sky-high, sweltering temperatures.

While our American friends are enduring the worst drought since 1956, they’re hopefully enjoying National Ice Cream month, at least. Although we’re not craving ice cream just now as much as we should in Paris, I have a solution for our differences in temperatures. Needing something ice cold? Needing ice cream but with some heat? Here’s my solution: Pistachio, Vanilla and Wasabi Ice Cream.

One of my favourite French chefs is William Ledeuil of Ze Kitchen Galérie in Paris. He serves the most incredible dessert consisting of a white chocolate and wasabi ice cream and serves it with a pistachio and green tea sauce, fresh strawberries and either crumble or wasabi meringues; incredible! I have been trying to match the flavours that he concocts in his grand finale but twiddling with my own recipes at home. Instead I’ve put the flavours into just one ice cream to make it simple – after all, I’m a lazy gourmet!  I replaced the white chocolate with egg yolks (as macaronivores, we need the whites for macarons!) The result is a gluten free dessert, full of interesting flavours.

Pistachio-wasabi ice cream. Are you making a face?

Recipe Pistachio, Vanilla and Wasabi Ice Cream

200ml coconut milk (small carton)
300ml whole milk
50g ground pistachios
1 vanilla pod
1 tsp pistachio extract
pinch green and brown food colouring
(3 parts green, 1 brown)
5 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
4 tsp powdered milk
15g wasabi paste

1. Heat the milk, coconut milk and pistachios in a heavy-based pan with the vanilla pod which is cut in two lengthways. Bring to the boil, and turn off the heat for the vanilla to infuse in the creamy milk for 5-10 minutes.

2. Cream together the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the powdered milk, wasabi paste and pistachio extract and mix well.

3. Scrape out the seeds from the vanilla pod and add to the yolk cream. Discard the pod from the warmed coconut-milk and add the food colouring.

3. Pour the creamy milk onto the egg mixture whisking continuously. Return the mixture to the pan on a medium heat, whisking constantly until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Set the mixture aside to cool.

4. Once cool, place in the fridge for 1-2 hours before pouring into an ice cream maker to churn according to your ice cream maker.

Serve on fresh strawberries with pistachio macarons on the side.

If you feel like a double intriguing wasabi wham – enjoy this with Pistachio, White Chocolate and Wasabi macarons (recipe on p65 of the book.)

How much wasabi can you eat to feel the heat?

, , , , ,

29 Responses to The Heat is on: Pistachio, Vanilla and Wasabi Ice Cream

1. Jennifer Cote September 11, 2012 at 20:21 #

Jill- this sounds awesome! How fun- a cold ice cream with a little heat. Can’t wait to try it!! Thanks for posting. Oh, and congrats on making the Top Nine :)

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:10 #

Thanks, Jennifer. Let me know how you get on – it’s a family favourite and great for serving up something a bit different with friends without any effort on the night.

2. June July 30, 2012 at 03:37 #

hi, just wanted to clarify the wasabi…did you mean the green paste from a tube or wasabi powder?

also, at what point is the wasabi added?

can’t wait to try this out. thanks for the wonderful idea!

• Jill July 31, 2012 at 11:01 #

Hi June,
      Thanks so much for pointing this out! I’ve updated the recipe to be precise; it’s wasabi paste and I add it at the end of step 2. Enjoy!

3. Jacqueline @How to be a Gourmand July 26, 2012 at 15:25 #

Bravo for trying something different! I love all these ingredients and would try it :-) After all chocolate and chilli works so why not wasabi pistachio and vanilla?

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:11 #

I hope you do try it, Jacqueline; it’s definitely a talking point and full of flavour (not just the wasabi…)

4. Laz July 26, 2012 at 05:33 #

I am not a big fan of wasabi and I would dig into this lovely creation.

Well played with the heat.

Bravo!

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:13 #

I’ll be honest: I tried a first batch which was 5g too much. The kids and I loved it but French hubby thought it was a bit too nose-tingling. This is just right and the sweetness helps it along nicely with a balance of flavours. Thanks, Laz.

5. michelle July 24, 2012 at 03:37 #

What gorgeous colors! Subscribed so that even without Buzz, I won’t miss a post!

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:13 #

Merci – hope you manage to try it, Michelle.

6. Cucina49 July 24, 2012 at 00:53 #

This ice cream looks amazing! For what it’s worth, it’s gray and rainy here too and we actually DID put the heat on yesterday.

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:14 #

Here’s hoping that you’ve had some sunshine in the meantime!

7. Maureen July 24, 2012 at 00:22 #

Just thinking of wasabi ice cream makes my tongue hurt :) It looks wonderful though.

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:14 #

This doesn’t hurt at all. Honest!

8. Nami | Just One Cookbook July 23, 2012 at 20:09 #

I could be your only Japanese friend who doesn’t eat wasabi, yet pistachio and vanilla ice cream sounds heavenly! ;-)

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:15 #

Go on, Nami. Have you tried it with the wasabi. This could change your whole perception of the stuff in a sweet context.

9. All That I'm Eating July 23, 2012 at 17:13 #

This sounds so so so good. I’d love a big bowl of this sat outside in the sunshine. The addition of wasabi is really interesting too!

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:18 #

Sounds good if we can always have it outside in the sun but without it, the heat definitely helps.

10. Lora July 23, 2012 at 16:27 #

What an absolutely gorgeous way to beat the heat. I love the flavors. Wow!

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:19 #

Lora, you’re beating the heat; we’re trying to create it here with these sorry temps.

11. DB-The Foodie Stuntman July 23, 2012 at 10:32 #

Enjoy your weather!

12. Samantha July 23, 2012 at 02:49 #

This flavor combination has me seriously intrigued. Thank you for the inspiration and gorgeous photos!

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:20 #

Well good, I’m so glad I’ve intrigued someone! Appreciated.

13. Liz July 23, 2012 at 00:19 #

Jill, I love how you find these unusual flavor combinations and turn them into marvelous desserts (macarons included!). Gosh, I wish you could send some of your torrential rains our way…I’d be happy to share the heat!

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:21 #

Gosh, thanks Liz. Hope you had some of the rains in the end. We had a month of sunshine and now it’s back to ze rain. Time to make another batch, perhaps?

14. Amy @ fragrantvanillacake July 22, 2012 at 21:21 #

Jill, what a fabulous ice cream flavor! The color is lovely as well with the pale green, and it must have such a delicious flavor with the combination of nutty pistachios and spicy wasabi! Yum! You are so creative :) !

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:23 #

As I said, Amy, I’m just a lazy gourmet that couldn’t be bothered trying to do a fancy dessert in different stages so this was easier and seriously good.

15. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen July 22, 2012 at 14:45 #

Jill, I love how you’ve put a hot flavour into a ice cream – Lickable photos too.

• Jill September 11, 2012 at 22:23 #

Lickable? Hester, I was hoping I could do a scratch and sniff but it’s not good for the computer.

Please don't be shy - leave your reply