pistachio-wasabi-ice-cream-strawberries

The Heat is on: Pistachio, Vanilla and Wasabi Ice Cream

Are you feeling the heat? You’re lucky. Mid July in Paris and we’re thinking of putting the heating on indoors as we watch the torrential rain. At least there’s no need to worry about sunburn and slapping on the sunscreen. On the other hand, I’m seeing poor friends having to deal with soaring, sky-high, sweltering temperatures.

While our American friends are enduring the worst drought since 1956, they’re hopefully enjoying National Ice Cream month, at least. Although we’re not craving ice cream just now as much as we should in Paris, I have a solution for our differences in temperatures. Needing something ice cold? Needing ice cream but with some heat? Here’s my solution: Pistachio, Vanilla and Wasabi Ice Cream.

One of my favourite French chefs is William Ledeuil of Ze Kitchen Galérie in Paris. He serves the most incredible dessert consisting of a white chocolate and wasabi ice cream and serves it with a pistachio and green tea sauce, fresh strawberries and either crumble or wasabi meringues; incredible! I have been trying to match the flavours that he concocts in his grand finale but twiddling with my own recipes at home. Instead I’ve put the flavours into just one ice cream to make it simple – after all, I’m a lazy gourmet!  I replaced the white chocolate with egg yolks (as macaronivores, we need the whites for macarons!) The result is a gluten free dessert, full of interesting flavours.

Pistachio-wasabi ice cream. Are you making a face?

Recipe Pistachio, Vanilla and Wasabi Ice Cream

200ml coconut milk (small carton)
300ml whole milk
50g ground pistachios
1 vanilla pod
1 tsp pistachio extract
pinch green and brown food colouring
(3 parts green, 1 brown)
5 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
4 tsp powdered milk
15g wasabi paste

1. Heat the milk, coconut milk and pistachios in a heavy-based pan with the vanilla pod which is cut in two lengthways. Bring to the boil, and turn off the heat for the vanilla to infuse in the creamy milk for 5-10 minutes.

2. Cream together the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the powdered milk, wasabi paste and pistachio extract and mix well.

3. Scrape out the seeds from the vanilla pod and add to the yolk cream. Discard the pod from the warmed coconut-milk and add the food colouring.

3. Pour the creamy milk onto the egg mixture whisking continuously. Return the mixture to the pan on a medium heat, whisking constantly until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Set the mixture aside to cool.

4. Once cool, place in the fridge for 1-2 hours before pouring into an ice cream maker to churn according to your ice cream maker.

Serve on fresh strawberries with pistachio macarons on the side.

If you feel like a double intriguing wasabi wham – enjoy this with Pistachio, White Chocolate and Wasabi macarons (recipe on p65 of the book.)

How much wasabi can you eat to feel the heat?

Thanks, Jennifer. Let me know how you get on – it’s a family favourite and great for serving up something a bit different with friends without any effort on the night.

1. June
    June says:

hi, just wanted to clarify the wasabi…did you mean the green paste from a tube or wasabi powder?

also, at what point is the wasabi added?

can’t wait to try this out. thanks for the wonderful idea!

Hi June,
      Thanks so much for pointing this out! I’ve updated the recipe to be precise; it’s wasabi paste and I add it at the end of step 2. Enjoy!

I’ll be honest: I tried a first batch which was 5g too much. The kids and I loved it but French hubby thought it was a bit too nose-tingling. This is just right and the sweetness helps it along nicely with a balance of flavours. Thanks, Laz.

Jill, I love how you find these unusual flavor combinations and turn them into marvelous desserts (macarons included!). Gosh, I wish you could send some of your torrential rains our way…I’d be happy to share the heat!

Gosh, thanks Liz. Hope you had some of the rains in the end. We had a month of sunshine and now it’s back to ze rain. Time to make another batch, perhaps?

3. Amy @ fragrantvanillacake
    Amy @ fragrantvanillacake says:

Jill, what a fabulous ice cream flavor! The color is lovely as well with the pale green, and it must have such a delicious flavor with the combination of nutty pistachios and spicy wasabi! Yum! You are so creative :)!

As I said, Amy, I’m just a lazy gourmet that couldn’t be bothered trying to do a fancy dessert in different stages so this was easier and seriously good.

4. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen
    Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen says:

Jill, I love how you’ve put a hot flavour into a ice cream – Lickable photos too.