Mushroom-cappuccino with savoury macarons

Cremini Mushroom Cappuccino with Mini Macarons

Just look at this tray of healthy looking cremini mushrooms from the market – just perfect for a mushroom cappuccino. When I first bought mushrooms in France, it was amazing to see how they were sold with such large stalks and earthy feet as opposed to the pale, pre-packaged mushrooms presented in cellophane punnets looking as clean as a button in supermarkets.

Down to earth with organic mushrooms

As Autumn is winding its way around Paris, it’s high time to return to macaron madness with mushroom and truffle macarons. Have you tried savoury macarons?  In France, they’re great as an apéritif – my favourite part before the meal that has urged me to become more French over the last 19 years here. Serve with Champagne or a white wine from the Jura or an Alsacian Riesling but in this case, why not serve these mini macarons with the cutest little mushroom cappuccino for an amuse-bouche teaser or as a bigger appetiser/starter to a special meal? Surprise your friends.

French macaron mushroom

A Macaron Mushroom? It’s magic.

For the macaron shells, follow the basic recipe from the book (using less sugar – see page 97.) While beating the meringue to stiff peaks, add just enough brown (3/4 coffee spoon) with a slight hint of yellow (1/4) powdered colouring and a dash of cayenne pepper, then pipe out the macaron batter into the smallest, cutest rounds you can. Using a smaller, 6mm plain tip makes this easier.

how to make mushroom macarons

Getting the right mushroom colour meringue

To make the filling, sauté 100g cremini mushrooms until they sweat off all their liquid* and add them to 100ml whipping cream, infusing them over a low heat for 15 minutes.  Blitz with a hand blender or processor and add a dash of good quality truffle oil. Whisk an egg with 10g cornflour in a small bowl then add to the cream and mushrooms and keep whisking over a medium heat until the sauce thickens. Set aside to cool, then whisk in 20g softened butter then fill the macarons.

* Tip: fry the mushrooms in a dry, non-stick pan. There’s no need for any extra butter or oil. Keep sautéing them until they give off their liquid and you’ll end up with healthy, natural mushrooms that are concentrated in flavour (and not dripping in oil!)

how to make mushroom filling for savoury macarons

This mushroom cappuccino is full of flavour and complements the macarons well. I prefer using cremini or portobello (giant cremini) mushrooms since I find they have more flavour than the normal white button mushrooms. Adding the truffle crème fraîche on top with a dusting of unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Van Houten 100%) just finishes off le cappuccino look. Here I used crème fraîche to make this quickly, but if you prefer frothing up some whipped cream, then this will have a more authentic look.

mushroom cappuccino

Mushroom Cappuccino Recipe

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes

600g cremini or portobello mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
25g butter
1 litre chicken stock
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tbsp crème fraîche
1 tsp truffle oil

1. In a large, high-sided pan, cook the onion over a medium heat in the butter without browning for about 5 minutes. Remove the onion from the pan then throw in the chopped mushrooms and sauté them until they give off all their liquid. Add the cayenne pepper and return the cooked onion to the pan.

2. Add the stock and leave to cook on the lowest heat until the liquid reduces by at least a quarter for about 30 minutes.

3. Blend and froth up the soup using a hand blender and season to taste.

Serve in coffee cups with a blob of crème fraîche mixed with some good quality truffle oil and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder; or what about dusting it with dried porcini mushrooms that have been whizzed in a spice grinder to create a concentrated mushroom powder?

mushroom macaron

Is there mushroom for macarons here?

• Jill Colonna
      Jill Colonna says:

I was like that at first too, Christina, believe me. I don’t like all kinds of savoury macarons (and I’ve tried a lot!) but when I make my own I also love to make spicy ones. So much fun to try since you have the sweetness of the macaron (I reduce the sugar as much as I dare on them) that cancels out the heat afterwards. I have a chapter that includes tikka ones and thai curry in Mad About Macarons 😉
      Otherwise the soup is fun enough…

1. Vicki Bensinger
    Vicki Bensinger says:

Jill these sound delicious and so creative. I’d love to try these. I only hope they come out 1/2 as good as yours.

I’m glad you like my homemade vanilla recipe. These would be a great gift for you to give with one of your recipes.

2. elisabeth@foodandthrift
    elisabeth@foodandthrift says:

Jill, we all know the you are the Macaron Goddess! Literally, no-one can ‘touch you’…you are so gifted and unique that it certainly amazes me to ‘no end!’

Such a clever, genius savory mushroom macarons. So adorable, and very cute. Love the presentation, and photos, as well:) xoxo

Gosh, Elisabeth, go easy! Thank you, I’m blushing no end but just trying to share with you how much fun you can have with macarons. With a bit of imagination, anyone can do this.

3. Anne@FromMySweetHeart
    Anne@FromMySweetHeart says:

Hi Jill! I have never tried a savory macaron. But I love mushrooms so much that I cannot imagine I wouldn’t like them no matter what form they took! Your pictures are gorgeous….so inviting. And that lead picture….your macaron truly looks like it belongs with the wild mushrooms! Is there anything you can’t do to a macaron?! You are amazing! : )

Thanks so much, Anne. That’s what is so fun with the macaron: you can do any combination you like with it. You will discover that you have an empty canvas for your imagination!

4. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb
    Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb says:

haha love that mushroom macaroon! You just redefined magic mushrooms, cause that really looks magical to me.=)

I asked that day my mum why she never makes macaroons at home and she said that it was never much made in her house in north France. Because of the lack of knowledge I am missing out. At least you Jill are teaching me something new about macaroons every single time.

I never thought of mushrooms as filling, thats ingenious!

5. Parsley Sage
    Parsley Sage says:

Ahmazing! These are so interesting. Seriously, who would think of a mushroom macaron, besides you? I’m still too scared to make them myself but I just made a new friend, who’s a pastry chef! She says she’s gonna come round help me make some. EXCITE!

Words like ‘scared to make macarons’ make me want to cry. BUT, if you’re going to make them with your pastry chef friend that’s brilliant. But honestly, you’ve got it all in the book. It really isn’t that difficult…

6. Chef and Steward
    Chef and Steward says:

Wow Jill, you’ve taught us something- didn’t know that macarons could be savoury! Love the mushroom double whammy with the cremini and truffle! Divine! Really gorgeous idea for guests especially as it begins to get cooler.

Yes, indeed! Savoury macs are good fun – I have a whole chapter of them in my book from sweet garden herbs to curry and even a bloody mary one too. Like this mushroom one, you just take the basis of the idea and create your own.. over to you!

I’m sure you’re spoiled for choice with all the different mushrooms you could put in here, Nami. You should have seen me put these photos together on the mushroom. The family thought I’d really gone mad. Well, not far off really…

7. Thomasina
    Thomasina says:

I would love this as a starter and would love to make it for friends who would appreciate it. Having just come back from the States everyone should be eating macarons which are so so healthy. Everything was so sweet there, even soft drinks. Thanks for the idea Jill.

Oh, Jill, your soup looks amazing! And a savory macaron as an accompaniment looks perfect…the filling sounds so incredibly rich a delish 🙂 Have a great week!!! xo