Spot the fingerprint!

Celebrating Macaron Day in Paris 2013 with a Video

It’s hard to believe it’s a whole year since the last Jour du Macaron in Paris. As before, this year it’s on 20th March to celebrate the arrival of Spring. If you’re in Paris, here’s a list of macaron boutiques participating next week in aid of the Association, Fighting Mucoviscidose.

In the meantime, let me share a short video with you to celebrate the simple pleasures of macarons, which has started to circulate via Facebook’s American Express pages so far for Argentina and Australia. Surprise!

I can’t stop humming the catchy music which was composed by talented videographer, Darryl O’Donovan. Please help yourself to some chocolate-orange macarons, which were made during the film. My favourite part is watching the feet form in the oven – it’s just as well I managed to find a replacement bulb for the oven light before the video team came. It’s amazing how much went into such a short video – it was great fun to watch and I’m honoured to have been a part of it. The icy wind in Paris was enough to take your face off, though!

Chocolate-orange macarons

With the snow falling in Paris right now, Spring doesn’t really feel on its way yet so I’m off to bake and stay cosy with the children on school holidays. Why don’t you join me making macarons and bring a bit of Paris to your own kitchen?

Let me leave you with a photo taken just this morning in our garden of a European Green Woodpecker (Le pivert). Isn’t he cute?

Stay cosy and make this week a Macaron Tweet!

Jill!!!!!!!!!! While I’m trapped in my own world, I haven’t opened your email update and I just did. I’m so behind in congratulating on this wonderful video but I watched it 3 times already. You know how much I loved it (or I like to stalk you?) and gosh, you look like an actress. I’m not just saying to make you feel special, I really mean it. I looooooved seeing how you make macarons in action, and yeah the feet rising part is my favorite too, but your smile is even more priceless in the video (ok now it sounds like a real stalker). Congrats! This is very YOU!

PS…I was thinking of you all day on Monday when I was baking an Ispahan Loaf Cake for French Fridays with Dorie. And surprise, surprise…even Bill loved it!!!! He knows nothing of all the rose flavorings I added 😉

I need to check your post out on this! Great to hear Bill loved it. Sounds like you’ll be making many more, then? I was at Hermé yesterday eyeing his very sweet Ispahan croissants. You should do that for Bill, too since I see you’re a dab hand at the croissants, Liz – freeze-dried raspberries sprinkled on top with a rose-lychee glaze.

3. Thomasina
    Thomasina says:

Too many female cooks and chefs on TV are very heavily made up. You are a natural Jill. Would like the music on my phone when people ring me. When are you making another video?

You’re too sweet, Thomasina. Thank you. But I actually could have done with someone to ‘do’ my face! Like change it! Another video? My daughter, Julie, is so excited with her new camera that I think she’ll be experimenting so this could be fun…

4. Jann J
    Jann J says:

So glad I found your blog, and it couldn’t have come at a better time. My girlfriends and I are going to be making Macarons this weekend and your video is really inspiring. thank you so much for sharing. I miss Paris.

Jann, will be thinking of you this weekend as you’re baking. Enjoy yourselves – you’ll be bringing Paris to your kitchen, anyway!

Wish you were in Paris too but judging by what I’ve heard today with the participating macaron boutiques, you haven’t missed much. Better to just make your own!

You are too right. Thanks for the lovely comments. The team were incredible. Yes, a lot went in to such a short space – it was impressive to see how they did it!

5. Shirley Moffat
    Shirley Moffat says:

Jill your video is absolutely super – so informative – and great seeing you doing the macarons at home.

Also congratulations on the 2nd edition of “Mad Aout Macarons”.

Hope you are feeling better and keep up the fantastic work you do Jill as it is very much appreciated.

Shirley

6. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen
    Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen says:

Great video, Jill. And what a great smile – you are a natural ! Paris looks almost as wonderful as those fabulous macarons. I never knew Macs had to mature. You learn something new every day.

The music is perfect for the video too. Perhaps the theme tune for your cookery programme eh …?

Not a bad idea, as long as you can be part of it, Hester! Yep, macarons can mature for 24 hours but best after 2 days and for chocolate macarons even better the 3rd day (like a blooming good chocolate cake!)

7. Gourmantine
    Gourmantine says:

Jill, the video is simply marvelous, I love the part seeing macarons rise! For next year I’m circling macarons day in Paris red, not to miss plan trips again like this year. Happy weekend to you!

8. Mum
    Mum says:

I love the video Jill and the music is addictive because I’ve played it again and again. You make baking macarons seem so easy and you’re so efficient. However you will taste mine and give marks out of 10 when you come home home. Love the woody woodpecker too. I love visiting the “queen of macarons” too.

Awe – thanks, Mum. Really? You thinking of going back to baking? No marks out of ten, you just enjoy it! That’s what it’s all about, no?

9. Kim - Liv Life
    Kim - Liv Life says:

Oh, Jill!! Now you can add “movie star” to you resume!! What a fabulous video. And that orange ganache? It has my name all over it!! You have me dreaming of a trip to Paris. Well done!

10. corrie
    corrie says:

Greetings to you, Jill, from a very hot (38C) Sydney Australia.
    I have been very sick lately and haven’t read or commented on any blogs for a while, but your video made me very happy this morning and I felt inclined to start again!!!!! I have been missing Paris VERY much after my husband made a wedding anniversary gift of two glorious weeks at Le Cordon Bleu and I ate macarons EVERY day, from Pierre Herme, rue de Vaugirard. One of my fav’s was a foie gras filling and runner-up was black truffle!!! 🙂 I will be back on track soon and start on my blog again…..maybe a macaron or two needs taste testing…..lol. Thanks for a lovely (and motivating) post. xoxo

Gosh, you live life on the daring side with the foie gras and truffle macarons! So glad to hear the video has helped inspire you. That’s the purpose here so thrilled you’ll be on track again soon. Take care, Corrie

11. Ann Mah
    Ann Mah says:

Jill, this is SO COOL! Love the video, especially love the time-lapse footage in the oven, and you and your macarons are glam and gorgeous! Bravo!

12. Laura
    Laura says:

What a brilliant video Jill – I love the views of Paris and the music, and you look gorgeous – far too young to have been at school with me!! 😉

As for the macarons, I can practically taste them they look so mouthwatering, and you make it look so easy (which it most definitely isn’t!)

Very well done on your first foray into the film world – I look forward to the sequel…xx

Aha, Laura. They’re a lot easier to make than you think, honest! If I can do it…
      Och, come on – we’re not old. Are we? 😉

13. Sue W.
    Sue W. says:

So happy to see the video..inspiration to create the treats. I have the first edition and am ready to begin. … I feel a jump start on Spring.

So glad to hear you have a jump start on Spring. Hard to believe it’s in less than a week! Great! You’re getting started on making macarons. Good news. Have fun!

14. Cupcake Crusher
    Cupcake Crusher says:

Wow, Jill, that video is so cool! You live in such a special place, I envy you… And those macs are mouthwatering, as usual.
    That “pivert” is simply adorable, no surprise it was in your garden: who wouldn’t want to visit the “queen of macarons”?