double colour pistachio and chocolate macarons with Jill @ Mad About Macarons

Desperate for Chocolate Pistachio Macarons

I know, I know. I’m desperate for macarons again after tasting some yesterday at Christophe Roussel’s Chocolate Bar. I don’t eat macarons all the time so now and again, I crave them; like some crazy, mad, desperate person.

So here I am, encore rambling on about these ever-so-chic stylish and colourful French confections. You’ve had bonus recipes recently to add to the egg yolk recipe collection – but, since this is supposed to be a macaron blog, I suppose I should talk about them now and again.

Even if you already make them, even if you’re planning to make them, or even if you’re planning on the other half making them for you (the best lovers say it with homemade macarons), this is supposed to inspire you if you’re scared to make that first step.

Chocolate macarons; pistachio macarons; chocolate-pistachio macarons. The three recipes are already in the book but if I was to do the book again (I’m a perfectionist, a bit OCD – ask the guys who worked on the macaron video with me!), I’d include this photo of one of my favourite filling combinations. Even better, it just made another reprint – who would have guessed? It’s so exciting to see the book with a 2013 reprint marked in the inside flap.

Photos aside, it’s the taste that’s really important. Oh, and the macaron feet: that ruffled frilly foot that announces the filling is near. I loved doing a chocolate walk with the sweetest of children recently and when I asked what we call the ruffles on a macaron, the response was ‘they’re shoes’. How cute is that? They were so sweet, they were even given free macarons at Pierre Hermé!

For pistachio and chocolate lovers, this is for you. Why don’t you use half quantities of the chocolate-pistachio filling and the pistachio filling recipes and fill the macarons with the two of them?

Add a Griottine – a griotte cherry soaked in a Kirsch bath

…. plumping a glorious Kirsch-glugged Griottine cherry in the middle before adding another spot of ganache and then sandwiching the other macaron shell on top. Divine!

What? You still reading me?

Get that apron on. It’s time to make macarons like the French. Crispy almond meringue on the outside; decadently smooth and creamy inside….

Love at first bite with a macaron…

OK, I’ve showed you my macarons. Now it’s time to show me yours. You know where to find me: here on le blog, on Facebook, on Twitter and today I joined Instagram (Madaboutmacarons – surprise!). So, why not join in the macaron fun?

Go on. Strut your macaron feet. They’re made for eating.

1. Fran @ G'day Souffle'
    Fran @ G'day Souffle' says:

How interesting- I had never heard about macaron ‘feet’ or ‘ruffles.’ I’ve made them once at a special workshop and plan to dive into it again. However, I’ll have to give quite a few away (perhaps packaged in nice little cartons) so my husband and I don’t gain too much weight!

Glad you popped by, then. Yes, if a macaron has no ruffles or feet (le pied), it’s not a macaron. Check out the quick wee video on the sidebar for more. Don’t give too much of them away, you can hide them in your fridge 😉

This flavor combination looks marvelous, Jill! And I love the idea of adding a boozy cherry to the filling. I must dust off my MAM book this summer…you’ve inspired me once again! xo

I’m so glad you shared these, Jamie. Love the idea of your Amaretto in the chocolate ganache. Seems like we have the same tastes! 😉

3. Kim - Liv Life
    Kim - Liv Life says:

Chocolate Pistachio… pure brilliance!! Love the colors as well. I haven’t made macarons for over 6 months, and we don’t have anywhere here that sells them, so I’m feeling a bit inspired. I think I will break out some egg whites now that we are finally on Summer Vacation and whip up a batch!! Happy Weekend Jill!

Wonderful, Kim. No macaron boutiques around has to be one of the best incentives! Enjoy making them and let me know when they’re ready, as I’d love to pop over to yours! Cheers.

4. Jean-Pierre
    Jean-Pierre says:

I have to make these, Jill. Love chocolate, pistachio and didn’t think about adding the cherries. Kirsch? I’m in! Cheers to you!

5. SusanS
    SusanS says:

Alas, I dare not reveal my feet as they always fall. I think it has to do with the fact I do not have a convection oven as you recommend using in your book. 🙁

Susan, take heart! I also say in the book that if you don’t have a convection oven, just try at a slightly higher temperature. I’ve made macarons with good feet using my Dad’s old fashioned plain oven, nothing fancy. I just put the temperature up a bit. For feet, ensure you’re leaving them to air enough, too. Go for it!

6. Vicki Bensinger
    Vicki Bensinger says:

I’ve been so busy lately I haven’t had the chance to stop by in a while. I just saw your macaron video and LOVE it!!! The music makes me wish I was back in Paris.

These chocolate pistachio macarons sound delightful. I have your book but haven’t made them and love that you combined the two flavors. Now that summers here I really should make another batch and try to perfect them. Although I’m sure that will take more than just another batch.