rose raspberry lychee Ispahan eclair recipe - with MadAboutMacarons.com

Rose, Raspberry and Lychee Eclairs

Did I ever tell you how much I actually enjoy visiting my dentist?

It’s not just that he’s in the oh-so-chic 16th arrondissement with shops for the ladies, but I can’t help feeling cool knowing that I share the same dentist’s chair as the French TV celebrity chef, Cyril Lignac.

In the waiting room, there was this cloth stapled to the other part of the room. Own up: would you dare to peek and see what was behind it? Is it Cyril’s own private waiting room? Or perhaps it’s a storeroom for the extra giant drills…

Leaving the surgery, tongue sliding over shiny, polished teeth, thoughts of gleaming porcelaine teacups come to mind with sweet accompanying French treats for goûter at quatre heures. This sweet temptress is tapping at my head, ‘Go on, a bit of sugar won’t do any harm after the spring clean, will it?’

Passing this tea salon, Thé Cool (thanks to my girls who noticed this play on words for ‘Tu es cool’), L’Eclair de Génie has just opened its doors in the Passy Plaza. The genius of Christophe Adam’s Eclairs is set out neatly in flashy, colourful rows. Each small éclair is as pretty as the next. He even transfers Michelangelo’s Creation of Adam to his white chocolate topping; also highly appropriate, since the word éclair means ‘a flash’ in French.

Genius, too, at €5.50 each. I promise my girls that we’ll come back after our shopping for friends’ birthday presents but somehow, we run out of time and speed off to the party. ‘Mum, les éclairs?’

A promise is a promise but no turning back. They have to be homemade. So, en route to the party, I feel a flash of Adam’s inspiration as I’m driving back to the suburbs. Suddenly, another flash of Pierre Hermé’s Ispahan macaron (rose, raspberry and lychee) comes to mind and there we have it: a rose éclair, Ispahan style! They’re not quite as fancy as the ones we saw in Paris but I can tell you, they disappeared in an oh-là-la flash and we enjoyed them last weekend for French Mother’s Day. You could say they’re cheaper by the dozen!

Rose, Raspberry & Lychee Eclairs Recipe (Ispahan-style)

Makes 12

CHOUX DOUGH

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes

Follow the recipe for choux buns then using a piping bag with a serrated tip (about 10mm), pipe out long éclairs on baking trays covered in greaseproof/baking paper (or Silpat mat) Leave a good space between each mound, as they will spread out during baking. No need to glaze. Bake in the oven at 180°C for 25 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack then cut the tops off horizontally.

ROSE PASTRY CREAM (Crème Pâtissière)

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Chilling Time: 1 hour

500ml full milk
20 ml rosewater*
4 egg yolks
50g cornflour
80g sugar
pinch of pink powdered colouring (optional)

Fresh raspberries
1/2 tin lychees, drained

200g fondant (ready made)
1 tsp rosewater
Pink colouring

* you could use rose syrup but reduce the sugar to 60g

1. Heat the milk with the rosewater in a saucepan.

2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the yolks with the sugar then whisk in the cornflour until light and creamy. Gradually add the warmed rose milk and pink colouring, whisking continuously until thickened.

3. Leave to cool. Place cling film directly on top of the pastry cream to stop a thick layer forming (if you whisk that in, you’ll get lumps!) and chill in the fridge for an hour.

4. Meanwhile, whizz the drained lychees in a blender (even better if you have fresh lychees) and using a spoon (I used a grapefruit spoon, so that it’s easier to aim) fill the raspberries with the lychee purée.

5. Gently melt the fondant in the microwave (or over a pan of boiling water) with the colouring, a teaspoon of water and rosewater. Mix well before it cools and dip the éclair tops into the rose fondant.

6. Pipe the cream into the éclairs adding the lychee-filled raspberries and place on the éclair tops.

For more egg yolk recipes, don’t forget to check out the bonus recipe index!

1. Fran @ G'day Souffle'
    Fran @ G'day Souffle' says:

Oh, one more thing. My latest post is based on my experience at the Cordon Bleu school in Paris (‘My Life at the Cordon Bleu- Paris’). Since you live there, you might be interested in the pictures I posted of the school and of some of the food we learned to cook (no macarons though!)

2. Fran @ G'day Souffle'
    Fran @ G'day Souffle' says:

Jill, I was just thinking of making some profiteroles, so your recipe for choux pastry will come in handy. It’s amazing how many ‘anglisismes’ come into the French language, such as ‘cool.’ Also, you said ‘eclair’ means flash in English. I note that the French word for zipper is ‘fermeture éclair’ (flash closure?). Thanks for sharing!

Hehe, it certainly is that for a zip. Lots of them. Makes me chuckle just thinking about work, when I was trying my best at French and said ‘réunion’ for meeting, only to be ‘corrected’ by my French colleague, who said ‘ah oui, le meeting’. Hilarious!

3. Helene D'souza
    Helene D'souza says:

hm that just reminded me that I should call my dentist for an appointment, I am dreading it already. I am thinking dearly of all the wonderful eclairs but especially of yours. Raspberry rose and lychee would have been my dream choice, perfect combination Jill! Now I just need raspberries in India… =I I ll have to wait forever to make your eclair but when I do you ll get to know it! Happy weekend Jill. 😉

4. June S
    June S says:

I know Julie and Lucie will love these eclairs. I’m still reeling from the price of the very ordinary eclairs we bought in Le Visinet but it was worth it to see their faces while they ate them on a bench outside the church. These look so very special.

Mum, they’re all so much more special when homemade. Somehow I get a buzz out of that, especially as we can add our own personal touch to them by adding different flavour combinations. I can’t tell you how much I love doing that and just want to spread the word. Plus it’s so much cheaper 😉

Jill!!! Long time no see! Sorry for my long absence but how are you doing!?!?! Hope all is well with you… I LOVE eclairs! And how cute are those lychee-filled raspberries! I just imagined the flavor together and I drooled!

Nami, great to hear from you and thanks so much for popping by. See you’ve been getting a sweeter tooth recently! I’ve been absent on so many blogs too, don’t worry. Life just gets in the way but it’s good!

6. Parisbreakfast
    Parisbreakfast says:

How perfect a dentist nearby pastry. I’ve been wanting to go here since its just a hop or two away to Passy. Or should I come to Chez Jill for even better lightening?
    It’s Michaelangelo Darling even if I can’t spell it…

7. Thomasina
    Thomasina says:

I would have had a sneaky peek behind that curtain! Love all the photos of eclairs – they make me want to have a fix of Paris patisseries. I hope your daughters and their friends appreciate your efforts – I envy them.

What I wouldn’t give to have my dental cleaning in such a chic environment! An your eclairs look patisserie perfect…your daughters are so lucky 🙂