This time last year I had a wonderful surprise on my return from holiday. Maureen, aka The Orgasmic Chef, was cheering and doing the macaron dance with her chocolate macarons. She’d perfected making them from the book. It was one of these proud, Auntie Mac Jill moments to hear that she’d made picture perfect macarons and they were delicious to boot (or should I say, foot?)
Today, she came up trumps and surprised me again with her other dynamic project as a natural interviewer for Food Writer Friday. She’s good: she has made me sound like queen for a day. Now that’s talent!
Lemon Ice Cream (A Handy Egg Yolk Recipe)
300ml whole milk
200ml whipping cream
zest of 2 lemons (untreated)
100g caster sugar
8 egg yolks (organic)
1 tbsp dried milk
1 tbsp Limoncello
few drops of yellow food colouring (optional)
- Cool a bowl in the fridge until step 5.
- In a medium saucepan, heat together the milk and cream with the lemon zest and yellow colouring, if using.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, dried milk and yolks until pale and creamy.
- Pour the warmed cream over the mix and return to the pan over a medium heat, whisking constantly until the cream thickens. It’s ready when it can coat a spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled bowl and leave to cool in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.
- Once chilled, transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and churn until ready. Spoon in to an ice cream carton and freeze for at least a couple of hours.
That’s the yolk recipe but the really fun part is my interview with Maureen (The Orgasmic Chef herself!) over at Food Writer Friday.
So, what do you think? Are macarons and ice cream better than sex?
Bon weekend, mes amis.
P.S. Don’t forget there are plenty more egg yolk recipes on the Bonus Recipe Index.