Long Macaron Richart Style

Raspberry, Redcurrant and Rose Macaron Filling

As the sweet queues became out of line via Pierre Hermé’s pâtisserie and macaron boutique in rue Bonaparte this summer, it was time to make a sharp exit. Out of Paris. Direction? Home in the quieter, bird-singing banlieue outskirts of the City of Light.

After a winter that well overstayed its welcome into summer, our raspberry crop hadn’t been as plentiful this year.  Meanwhile, the burstingly ripe and competitive redcurrants next to them were eager to feature into some pots of homemade jam, just to help us reach the quantity readings on the digital scales. The redcurrants’ presence was so tart, yet alluring, that they nudged and reminded me when it was time to make a batch of raspberry macarons. But, thinking Hermé, raspberry macarons needed just a hint of rose for that extra, sophisticated je ne sais quoi.

Imagine tart, yet tantalisingly fruity; acidic yet counteracting with the velvet vanilla sweetness of white chocolate with a hint of rose petals, and you have sweet – yet not overly sweet – macarons: crisp meringue-like on the outside and compact, compulsive-eating squidginess in the inside.

This, of course, comes from the macaron magic: after leaving the filling to infuse in the macaron shell for at least 24 hours.

Many people use jams in their macarons.  It’s less time consuming but somehow, I find it a bit too sweet.  I even tried making macarons with my own homemade, reduced-sugar, raspberry and rose jam.  They were good but the kind of macarons I could buy at the French supermarket or at our local pâtisserie, to be honest – and at a price.  What was missing was a bit of creaminess, without the cream and butter this time; just good, fresh produce with the sugar and creaminess from white chocolate, without it tasting too much of white chocolate.

OK, do you think I’m fussy?  Well, for a macaronivore, it’s allowed.

If you’ve been to Angelina’s in Paris (and also braved the queues at prime tourist season starting in June), you may have seen their Macalongs.  Just pipe your macaron shells as the book describes in the basic recipe, but in longer strips (like an éclair).  Richart chocolate boutiques also showcase their macalong version, with 3 macarons ‘stuck’ to each other, as above. Just pipe out your macarons according to the book, but don’t leave much space between them.

If you don’t have redcurrants, just use 200g of raspberries.

To make the macaron shells, simply follow the instructions in the book, Mad About Macarons: How to Make Macarons Like the French.

Raspberry, Redcurrant and Rose Macaron Filling

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Cooling Time: 1 hour

150g fresh (or frozen) raspberries
50g fresh (or frozen) redcurrants
1 tbsp rose water
180g white chocolate, broken into bits

1. Blitz the raspberries and red currants in a food processor for about 3-4 minutes, until the seeds are well and truly crushed.  (If you really don’t like seeds, you can filter the seeds through a sieve at this point.)

2. Heat the fruit purée in a saucepan with the rose water – over a medium heat – and gradually stir in the white chocolate bits and, with a wooden spoon, stir slowly until the  white chocolate is completely melted and blended with the fruit.

3. Set aside to cool then refrigerate for an hour before piping out the filling on to your macaron shells.

To ‘macalong’ story short, these are fresh and fruity delicious!

Yes, your filling looks SO much better than jam (though currant jam is my fave :)). And I’m certain your macalongs rival Angelina’s!!! xo

Love currant jam too, Liz – but with macaron fillings, it just needs that bit of butter or cocoa butter to give that extra velvety centre. Rival? Just gourmande and hate queues 😉

2. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen
    Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen says:

I love the idea of macalongs – even more loveliness! Your filling is genius, Jill – I don’t like overly-sweet stuff and letting the tartness of the berries come through really appeals to me. Hope you are well and enjoying a lovely Autumn season in Paris.

I’ve noticed we both love things less sweet, Hester. I realise I’m posting too many desserts etc. Time for some savoury? Macaroni and lots of French cheese. Autumn? You’re right: it’s wet and chilly here – you’ve probably got sunshine in Ireland!

3. Jamie
    Jamie says:

I love the idea of melting chocolate into jam for a filling! That is fabulous — and why YOU are the Mac Queen! I also agree that raspberry needs something else to complement and highlight the flavor more. the rose is simply romantic.

Now I have to make macalongs ha ha ha.

Pink pink and more pink! I had macarons for breakfast this morining – not the one I made (no, not yet…). My daughter insists on getting pink color ones and she didn’t even bother what flavor. Every girl’s dream to have pink macarons? 🙂 These are gorgeous macarons, Jill! I personally love the raspberry flavors – sweetness and sourness is perfect for this little treat.

Macarons for breakfast? Nami? Wow. You’ve got it worse than myself! Funny that your daughter goes for the colour rather than macaron flavour. Too cute!

Lovely idea with the open sweet sandwich, Thomasina. You could top it off with Chantilly cream laced with rose essence and topped with raspberries and redcurrants. A macaron, macalong version of an éclair…

5. The Ninja Baker
    The Ninja Baker says:

I’m crossing my fingers that with the purchase of your book and un petit peu of practice, my macarons will have feet as pretty as yours!

The white chocolate sweet with the berries looks like perfection for the palate, Jill. And a bit of rose essence is always welcome in my sweets, too =)

With your talents, you’ll have prettier macaron feet than mine! Enjoy making them. Yes, the white chocolate is just enough to set the filling to a nice consistency and add just enough sweetness. Let us know how you get on!

6. Kim - Liv Life
    Kim - Liv Life says:

Oh, Jill!! They are SO pretty!!! I have to admit I’ve never actually had a redcurrant, but I’m now eager to try. I’m with you on the late arrival of summer… we didn’t actually get good weather until the first day of school. I had a fabulously lovely day, the kids? Not so much!
    Here’s hoping winter holds off a bit this year. I’m not ready for it, let alone fall.

Hehe, spoke too soon. Weather in Paris is abruptly cool and wet. Never mind, great for going back to school and returning to routine. I’m not a huge fan of redcurrants on their own, since they’re pretty tart but, together with raspberries, definitely worth trying, Kim!