Festive Starter Recipes for Savoury Macarons

Who can believe that 2013 is just about wrapped up already?  Before it ties up with a silver bow on Hogmany, let me share some starter ideas to serve with your savoury macarons.

Not all of us, perhaps, are into savoury macarons such as chocolate and fois gras as an apéritif but have you tried any of the savoury macaron recipes from the book’s ‘Mad Macs’ chapter yet?  Many of them are hot and spicy, which makes an interesting tasting sensation: the sweetness of the macaron helps put out the fire after the first couple of seconds!

Gourmet meals can be given that extra touch of chic with a horseradish and beetroot macaron (recipe on page 103). Here I’ve served it with Salar Scottish smoked salmon with an apple and horseradish sauce.  Our previous family visit to Corsica included a surprising gourmet treat consisting of a Terre et Mer simple yet sophisticated starter: it may look and sound unusual but, believe me, the mix of smoked salmon with smoky charcuterie dried hams is amazing!  The chiogga beetroot and spicy macaron adds that je ne sais quoi.

Mini tikka curry macarons are also a spicy surprise on the side to warming soups, like this leek, pumpkin and ginger velouté.

Or why not try them with a mini amuse-bouche of parsnip, round carrot and coriander soup? Round carrots, or Parisian carrots are round, short and dumpy and have an even sweeter flavour than normal carrots.

Curry fans can add another touch of chilli spice under the mistletoe with the mini Thai curry macarons. Make them red or green, depending on your mood with a hint of coconut.

Thai red christmas curry macarons by Jill

Thai green curry macarons can be a surprising addition to a starter of sweet potato, crab and thai herb croquettes, served with a thai-style mayonnaise to use up your egg yolks.

Or what about serving a mini mac with these light, gluten-free ginger, crab and coriander quiches?

Inspiration for this warming watercress soup came after a wee trip to the watercress beds in Normandy this summer. Serve with garden herb macarons (recipe on page 97 of the book).

Or surprise your guests with mini herb macarons as a side to this cherry tomato, wild strawberry and rocket salad, peut-être? For those lucky sun-kissed macaronivores in the Southern Hemisphere.

Or serve with a Bloody Mary macaron for a surprise with a slightly bigger punch?

It’s time to wrap up presents but just a few festive starter recipe ideas to accompany the savoury macaron chapter in the book.

I’m a green and red curry macaron ‘read-thai’ to party!

Are your macarons ready to party?

Check out the full index of bonus recipes to accompany the book, including many egg yolk recipes and desserts to serve with your sweet, gluten-free macaron treats.

Thank you for all your support, your lovely, motivating comments over the year here on le blog, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and for spreading the word about Mad About Macarons!

Happy holidays
and wishing you a
Healthy, Happy and a Macaron-ivorous 2014!

, ,

12 Responses to Festive Starter Recipes for Savoury Macarons

1. Gintare @Gourmantine January 6, 2014 at 21:46 #

I’ve first tried savory macarons in Aix en Provence a few years ago and found them to be sensational to say the least. I have to get my hands on your cookbook and head straight for the savory macaron section!
    Happy New Year :)

• Jill January 31, 2014 at 19:17 #

They’re fun, Gintare, so hope you make them. I love the spicy hot ones which are a real gourmet experience! All the best to you.

2. Shirley Moffat December 28, 2013 at 15:34 #

Jill what a lot of super savoury ideas – not just macarons but delicious nibbles – your recipes as so “do able” and the photographs show great ideas of presentation. You are always coming up with something new and I am sure you are now thinking up more fantastic recipes for 2014.

Hope your back is a lot better Jill and I wish you and yours a very happy, healthy and exciting 2014.

• Jill January 31, 2014 at 19:16 #

Thank you so much for such kind words, Shirley. Yes, being good with the back and continuing with physio every week so this will be a good year. Also on the recipe front. Still waiting to tell you all but something exciting on the burner for this year!

3. Liz December 23, 2013 at 04:36 #

Oh, Jill, I MUST add savory macs to my 2014 baking list! SO many fun ideas and pairings. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family! Fingers crossed I get back to Paris one day soon (I’m hoping for a trip with my sisters who will all appreciate the culinary wonders of your city!).

• Jill January 31, 2014 at 19:14 #

Fabulous, Liz – hope you’re getting that girls’ trip planned to Paris this year! Keep me posted. Ooh, and also for your savoury macarons…

4. Pois Gourmand December 22, 2013 at 13:26 #

Bonjour Jill,
    Félicitations pour votre très joli blog. Passez de bonnes fêtes de fin d’année.
    A bientôt
    Bérengère

• Jill December 22, 2013 at 19:12 #

Merci, Bérangère. A bientôt en 2014! Avec les meilleurs voeux pour une année délicieuse, remplie de bonheur.

5. Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) December 20, 2013 at 17:24 #

2014 is the year of the savoury macaron for me. Thanks for a bunch of GREAT ideas – so festive and fun. Wishing you all a merry Christmas and a wonderful new year – may our paths cross again soon XO

• Jill December 22, 2013 at 19:13 #

Thanks so much for all your lovely comments and support, Mardi. Great to meet you when you in Paris this summer. Cheers to many more gourmet travels for you in 2014!

6. Jamie December 20, 2013 at 17:00 #

Oh my, they are all fabulous (and will so be pinned to my pinterest Macaron board! I made savory sweet macs a few times and loved them though I will admit my family was afraid to try them. I love all your flavors and know they would be amazing with soup or just a glass of wine. And I also love the crab balls and the pretty little quiches! No holiday parties this year for us but I might just let you inspire me to make a few little nibblies…. Happy Happy Holiday, Jill! xo

• Jill January 31, 2014 at 19:14 #

Thanks Jamie. I know, I have the same ‘problem’: many people are afraid to try them at first but when they do, they become addicted! The fact that they’re tiny helps, too.
      Enjoy the family this festive season, Jamie and looking forward to seeing you in 2014! All the best. xo

Please don't be shy - leave your reply