Macaron Fillings: XL or Dainty?

Do you recognise this photo taken while making macaron shells with the MacShapes parchment paper recently?  Well, I’m intrigued and would love to hear your opinion on the subject of filling size.

baked macaron shells with perfect feet, ready to be filled

Press me to the limit?

At this stage some macaronivores push their thumb into the centre of each macaron shell in order to be able to use the maximum amount of filling.

Do you prefer a normal big scoosh of filling inside or are you into XL portions?

Imagine this is a green tea, pistachio and wasabi macaron from the book.  Would you want the absolute maximum sky’s the limit amount of white chocolate flavoured ganache inside?  Like, bigger than the macaron shell?

Go on.  Be honest.  Tell all.  Would  you thumb each base shell or not?

12 Responses to Macaron Fillings: XL or Dainty?

1. Purabi Naha | Cosmopolitan Currymania July 14, 2014 at 20:11 #

I would not eat a macaron with so much of stuffing. I love the macarons more than the stuffing. The stuffing must complement the macarons, not overload it.

2. Jill July 3, 2014 at 17:20 #

Interesting responses. Personally, for my centime’s worth, I don’t thumb. Less is more, as long as it’s not too little, either…

Thanks so much, everyone, for filling us in ;-)

3. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef July 3, 2014 at 13:02 #

I’m not a double-stuffer. I get joy from the shells and a bit of flavour from the filling.

4. Jamie June 30, 2014 at 13:10 #

Nope, not too much filling. There has to be a good balance between the filling (which is sometimes a bit heavy and a bit too sweet) with the shell (which is delicate). I too love the crispy, chewy texture and delicate flavor of the shells and want to experience that, not only the filling. Or one can just eat the filling from the bowl with a spoon.

5. Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) June 29, 2014 at 22:55 #

I NEVER NEVER push my thumb in the shell. I really dislike macarons heavy with ganache…

6. Rieko June 28, 2014 at 05:57 #

I do my best to keep my shells in tact. However, there have been the occasional ones that don’t come cleaning off the parchment. In those cases, extra filling makes an otherwise mistake extra tasty. ;-)

7. Moira June 28, 2014 at 05:29 #

I thay abtholutely no thquishing or thumbing, and that’th my honetht opinion, Jill.

8. Martyn June 28, 2014 at 03:53 #

Hi Jill no thumbing! Its all about balance of flavour and texture for me! Maybe those that preferred extra would be better off with a dipping bowl of extra filling!!!

On new flavour combinations, I’m going to have as play with vanilla and red bean paste which is very popular here.

Take care

9. Liz June 27, 2014 at 23:06 #

I love filling, but I’m afraid I’d mess up the crown of the macaron if I attempted to make a divot :) Hope you’re enjoying a sunny summer!

10. Krystek June 27, 2014 at 21:39 #

XXL!
    For me, feeling is the main carrier of the flavour so the macaron has to have a lot of feeling. Well, not so it oozes out like lava but just enough so it looks like a little hamburger.
    Plus I love the combination of cream, ganache or buttercream with something inside like a tiny square of a jelly in complementing flavour (Vanilla ganache with passionfruit jelly) or a piece of fruit (Pistachio ganache with half of a cherry macerated in Kirsch).
    Not long ago I made Apricot and Early Grey tea with apricot ganache in which I have substituted 70% of the cream with apricot puree which made the ganache very mousse-like. I have also made Earl Grey jelly and placed the jelly on top of piped ganache.
    The effect was very refreshing and not too sweet macarons. Great for summer.
    So yes, PLENTY of filling. Unless it’s a jam or preserve of some sort that will ooze out anyway.

11. Lake Lili June 27, 2014 at 21:07 #

Have to say please leave my shells intact, even if it means less raspberry chocolate filling. I love the crisp chewy texture of the shells and find that they get soft too fast if you push in the center… besides, I love to scoop the left over filling over vanilla ice cream…

12. Julie June 27, 2014 at 20:20 #

I usually don’t thumb the shells but I have thumbed one side IF they are my favorite flavors…extra is good in that case.

Please don't be shy - leave your reply