Alsacian French Apple Tart Recipe

French Apple Custard Tart – An Easy Yolk Recipe you HAVE to try!

The last time I made this French Apple Custard Tart, I earmarked the recipe and put it aside in a special file called “Best egg yolk recipes: must make for le blog”.  That was last autumn.

Luckily this delicious custard tart and I were reunited with me falling on the stairs – there’s always a silver lining! A forced foot-rest due to ankle sprain and torn ligaments has had me rather house-bound and frustrated at cancelling pastry and chocolate walks in Paris but an office clean-out has meant that the tempting yolk recipe file has resurfaced from the back of the cupboard!

Alsacian French Apple Custard Tart Recipe

This French Apple Custard Tart recipe is also ridiculously easy – especially if you cheat and buy ready-made pastry.  However, I do urge you to make your own sweet pastry here, as adding that extra touch of cinnamon in the base had even my cinnamon-avoiding husband ask for a THIRD slice.

Techniques such as blind-baking the pastry beforehand is also cleverly replaced by simply laying out the apples and baking them before adding the filling. For macaron, meringue, and financier lovers, then you’ll appreciate having another egg yolk recipe up your sleeve and the good news is that this filling uses 4 egg yolks!  The filling couldn’t be simpler – just whisk the whole lot together and pour on top of the apples.

Easy best recipe for French apple custard tart

French Apple Custard Tart

Recipe adapted from ‘Tarte aux Pommes à l’Alsacienne’ in France the Beautiful Cookbook by the Scotto Sisters – with extra cinnamon and reduced sugar in the filling. If you make tartlets, either butter tartlet moulds or use 6 tartlet rings.

Serves 6

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes

Makes one 25cm tart or 6 tartlets

300g sweet pastry (with 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon)
2-3 apples (Golden Delicious or Cox’s Pippin)
4 egg yolks
75g sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
200g double (heavy) cream

Alsatian apple cinnamon tart

1. Preheat the oven to 210°C/410°F (gas 6 1/2). Butter a 25cm tart tin (no need to butter if using non-stick moulds) or tart ring. Roll out the pastry dough larger than the tart tin (about 4cm larger) and press into the tin. Chill in the fridge.

2. Peel, quarter and core the apples. Cut each quarter into 4 slices and arrange them evenly over the pastry, starting from the outside and overlapping the slices slightly in the form of a rose.  Bake for 15 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, using a hand whisk, beat the egg yolks, sugar, cinnamon and cream.  Pour over the apples and bake for 30-35 minutes (20-25 minutes for tartlets) or until the apples are tender.

Apple cinnamon French custard Tartlet egg yolk recipe

No need for any ice cream or cream; just enjoy on its own served warm with a cup of your favourite tea for the perfect Sunday teatime treat.

French apple custard tart

French Apple Custard Tart

1. Keith
    Keith says:

So mine came out with a scrambled eggs texture. I would recommend cooking the mixture in a bath for the second part, and taking the temp down to 300.

By a “bath” I mean fill a larger, flat dish like a lasagna pan full of boiling water, then place the filled pie in that before baking the custard. This keeps the custard from getting hot spots that’ll cook the egg too much.

• Jill Colonna
      Jill Colonna says:

That’s bad luck, Keith. Sorry to hear that. I wouldn’t bother giving the tart a bath: all ovens are different and think you just need to adjust to a lower temperature that suits yours. Oven temperatures in recipes are always just a guide. It’s an easy recipe that doesn’t need complex techniques.

2. Tonessa West Crowe
    Tonessa West Crowe says:

This is fabulous! I will definitely be baking this for our annual formal Christmas Dinner party. I usually bake about 8 different desserts. One of them is a Normandy tart, but I think this will be a welcomed change. And since I am a fan, I can’t wait to get your new book. Thanks for this wonderful addition!

• Jill Colonna
      Jill Colonna says:

You bake 8 desserts? They must LOVE you Tonessa. I’m delighted to hear that you’ll make this for the annual Christmas party dinner. I do hope you’ll share photos with us!

3. Cheryl Turner
    Cheryl Turner says:

Thanks so much for sharing this Jill. I think even I can do this. I’m giving it a try for Thanksgiving.
    By the way, my books arrived and my customers are loving them. My baker grabbed one before I could even get them on the shelves.
    Cheryl

• Jill Colonna
      Jill Colonna says:

I’d be so thrilled if you made this for Thanksgiving Cheryl. What a lovely compliment, thank you also about the books. So pleased you like them! I just wish I could pop into your beautiful tea salon in California myself!

4. Christina @ Christina's Cucina
    Christina @ Christina's Cucina says:

I’m salivating right now, but can’t do anything about it. Torture, you might call it. I would love to make this sans cinnamon (that’s the Scottish part of me-I’ve been so put off with all the cinnamon in apple pies here in the US)! Lovely tarts, Jill!!

• Jill Colonna
      Jill Colonna says:

That is too funny you wanting them without cinnamon. Ever since we were married, Antoine refused cinnamon in any food and it’s only now I’m adding it in and the girls are loving it. I understand how we can get carried away using too much after a while… Crossing fingers you get that oven SOON!

5. David
    David says:

Jill – this sounds fantastic and I am definitely in an autumnal, apple mood! Thanks for the yolk recipe – it never occurred to me that this was a genre, as I usually end up with egg whites! (Time to learn to make macaroons, me thinks!)

• Jill Colonna
      Jill Colonna says:

I’ve made this into a genre David, since when you’re as mad about macarons as we are, then we need an excuse to have too many whites! It never ends. Thanks – hope you make this soon.

6. Lisa of Fresh Eggs Daily
    Lisa of Fresh Eggs Daily says:

This looks delicious and since I always have a ton of fresh eggs from my chickens, I’m going to give it a try. I also shared the link on my Facebook page Fresh Eggs Daily.

Huge fan of yours, I love your macaron cookbook, I think I need to buy your second book!

• Jill Colonna
      Jill Colonna says:

Lisa, what a lovely surprise to read your lovely comment and to see you sharing this on FB. What a turnout! And with all these beautiful fresh eggs, this will be just amazing! Thanks again x