Spiced Plum Jam & Digital Jam Scale Review
Oh Plums! As Autumn is announcing its presence around Paris I’m going mad preserving the last of the summer fruits with my favourite Spicy Plum Jam.
I make this plum jam every year as it makes ideal Christmas gifts with its warming spices – and for something that doesn’t take long to make, we can continue to indulge in the taste of summer over Autumn and Winter!
Terraillon Digital Jam-Making Scales
Just as I finished making a batch of Corsican fig jam, I received these rather clever jam-making scales from the digital kitchen scale experts at Terraillon, just in time to make this spicy plum jam. As you know, I believe that digital scales are a real kitchen necessity if you’re aiming at CONSISTENTLY SUCCESSFUL RESULTS – especially in baking – but when I heard about these jam-making scales, I had no idea what they were.
What makes them different to classic digital kitchen scales?
The Neo Cook Jam scales have a clever jam button.
Switch the scales on, place on your container and set the scales to “0”. Weigh your prepared fruit (here it was 1.551kg), hit the jam button, and it tells you HOW MUCH SUGAR IS NEEDED for the weight of fruit. Continue to add the indicated amount of sugar (here it was 1.008kg); as you add, the amount decreases until the perfect weight is achieved, finishing at zero. It’s so easy!
Ratio of Sugar to Fruit
The scales are set by default as 750g sugar to 1 kilo of fruit but this ratio can easily be changed by hitting the jam button for 3 seconds and selecting your desired amount of sugar quantity per kilo.
I easily RESET the ratio of sugar to 650g per kilo of fruit and as you can see, discovered that I had over 1.5kg of plums and so needed just over a kilo sugar.
Metric vs Imperial
No problem if you don’t like working in grams, kilos or millilitres: simply set the scales to imperial ounces, lbs and fluid ounces at the switch of the unit button.
Things I particularly like
- The Jam button is clever – Terraillon, you’re jammy. This will be so useful for smaller quantities of fruit that have an uneven weight.
- Its Timer Function is very handy: I often discover mid-flow that I’ve finished a packet of sugar and need to find another one in the cupboards. In this scenario my previous scales would normally switch off so this is a great feature. You can set the timer for a couple of minutes or even up to 99 minutes;
- There’s also a pause button: useful for heavy containers or packages that may prevent visibility of the screen;
- My previous digital scales use 4 AAA batteries: the Terraillon Neo Cook Jam Scale uses only two;
- They’re light-weight, slim, stylish, with an easy-to-clean glass top;
- Jam-making is made quick and easy: jams will be consistently perfect using these scales, no matter how much fruit you have each time.
I thoroughly recommend these innovative scales even if you don’t use the jam feature. I also love the additional timer and hold buttons so much that I’ll be using them for other baking and cooking. I see they’re available in the UK at Lakeland, who have EU delivery.
Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post and was given the new Neo Cook Jam Scales by Terraillon for the purpose of a review. I was not required to be positive and, as always, all opinions are my own.